Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default specific order of services

Hi

Is there a way to start services in specific order while booting ?

For example

I need the following services to be started in the below order

1)openvpn --> This should start first
2)networking --> This should start second

3)shorewall --> This should start third

Please guide

Thanks

Kaushal

Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Nils Kassube

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Is there a way to start services in specific order while booting ?
>
> For example
>
> I need the following services to be started in the below order
>
> 1)openvpn --> This should start first
> 2)networking --> This should start second
> 3)shorewall --> This should start third

The startup sequence is controlled by upstart [1] but the traditional
links in /etc/rc*.d/ should still work. I think you should have a look
at "/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.runlevels.gz" for the details.

Nils

[1] <http://upstart.ubuntu.com/>

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to start services in specific order while booting ?
>
> For example
>
> I need the following services to be started in the below order
>
> 1)openvpn --> This should start first
> 2)networking --> This should start second
> 3)shorewall --> This should start third

You should start shorewall before networking!

You can create an openvpn event and have the start of networking depend on it:
http://netsplit.com/2008/04/27/upstart-05-events/