-   -   OO Writer in Kubuntu 10.10 '"freezes" often - sometimes impossible to restore a document. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/475238-oo-writer-kubuntu-10-10-freezes-often-sometimes-impossible-restore-document.html)

MR ZenWiz 01-11-2011 07:58 PM

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ever since the upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10, I am experiencing weird
> problems with OpenOffice.org Writer. At least once per week, this
> package "freezes" while I am working on a document. This means: in the
> middle of some intense working session, the whole system stops working
> altogether. At such a moment, I even am not able to "kill" OpenOffice
> Writer via Control-Alt-Esc or to stop in some way the whole system, because
> EVERYTHING stagnates.

Have you tried posting this on the OOo users' list? It may not be a
specific issue with Ubuntu.

I use LibreOffice on Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and have few problems with it,
though not none and the ones I do see tend to be nasty (like running a
.pps file and having it kill my X-server).

Also, which release of OO are you using? 3.2.1 seems to be fairly
stable, whereas 3.3 (which was just released) may not be.

Bas Roufs 01-12-2011 10:36 AM

OO Writer in Kubuntu 10.10 '"freezes" often - sometimes impossible to restore a document.

Thanks for replying.

2011/1/11 MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ever since the upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10, I am experiencing weird
> > problems with OpenOffice.org Writer. At least once per week, this
> > package "freezes" while I am working on a document. This means: in the
> > middle of some intense working session, the whole system stops working
> > altogether. At such a moment, I even am not able to "kill" OpenOffice
> > Writer via Control-Alt-Esc or to stop in some way the whole system, because
> > EVERYTHING stagnates.
>
> Have you tried posting this on the OOo users' list? *It may not be a
> specific issue with Ubuntu.

The "freeze" problems I wrote about in my previous message have become
manifest after the upgrade to Maverick. That's why I address the
questions about them to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu user lists. However,
your idea to also write to some OO user list or forum, is also a good
one.

> Also, which release of OO are you using? *3.2.1 seems to be fairly
> stable, whereas 3.3 (which was just released) may not be.

I am using 3.2.1. - the "stable" release that has come with the
regular edition of Kubuntu Maverick.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Bas Roufs 01-12-2011 10:36 AM

Hans Henry von Tresckow 01-12-2011 11:51 PM

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> 2011/1/11 MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ever since the upgrade to Kubuntu 10.10, I am experiencing weird
>> > problems with OpenOffice.org Writer. At least once per week, this
>> > package "freezes" while I am working on a document. This means: in the
>> > middle of some intense working session, the whole system stops working
>> > altogether. At such a moment, I even am not able to "kill" OpenOffice
>> > Writer via Control-Alt-Esc or to stop in some way the whole system, because
>> > EVERYTHING stagnates.
>>
>> Have you tried posting this on the OOo users' list? *It may not be a
>> specific issue with Ubuntu.
>
> The "freeze" problems I wrote about in my previous message have become
> manifest after the upgrade to Maverick. That's why I address the
> questions about them to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu user lists. However,
> your idea to also write to some OO user list or forum, is also a good
> one.
>
>> Also, which release of OO are you using? *3.2.1 seems to be fairly
>> stable, whereas 3.3 (which was just released) may not be.
>
> I am using 3.2.1. - the "stable" release that has come with the
> regular edition of Kubuntu Maverick.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.
You might want to keep an eye on memory usage while using OO. It may
be that with Maverik something else has a larger memory footprint and
your netbook is running out of memory. Do you have swap space enabled?

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)