-   -   ctrl+c to rsync then it is not starting (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/474994-ctrl-c-rsync-then-not-starting.html)

Tapas Mishra 01-11-2011 06:49 AM

ctrl+c to rsync then it is not starting

I was doing a backup of some 300Gb of files from an NTFS folder to
another NTFS folder.
How ever even after leaving that for entire night it was still going on.
Since I had to go to office so I had Ctrl+C to that rsync process.
This is the message I got when I forced it to stop

sending incremental file list
^Crsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(543) [sender=3.0.7]

After that when I again restart as
rsync -avz /source/ /destination
I see it has a message on terminal

sending incremental file list

but the cursor keeps on blinking and there is nothing happening.
What issue can this be?
--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com

Smoot Carl-Mitchell 01-11-2011 04:06 PM

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:19 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I was doing a backup of some 300Gb of files from an NTFS folder to
> another NTFS folder.
> How ever even after leaving that for entire night it was still going on.
> Since I had to go to office so I had Ctrl+C to that rsync process.
> This is the message I got when I forced it to stop
>
> sending incremental file list
> ^Crsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
> rsync.c(543) [sender=3.0.7]
>
> After that when I again restart as
> rsync -avz /source/ /destination
> I see it has a message on terminal
>
> sending incremental file list
>
> but the cursor keeps on blinking and there is nothing happening.
> What issue can this be?

I am doing a bit of speculating here, but the incremental file process
is doing a quick timestamp and checksum comparison on every file in the
filesystem. If you have a lot of small files this can take quite a
while, but should not take all night. You might check if there are any
filesystem error messages on the target filesystem. It may be retrying
bad reads due to some bad blocks on the disk and slowing down the rsync
process.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect