Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Sandy Harris

Default Firefox & tmpfs

I have a machine with lots of RAM, 8 gigs in a single-user
desktop machine that runs Open Office, Firefox, and not
much else. /tmp is already on tmpfs.

I'd like to put the Firefox cache on tmpfs as well. How?
Edit a Firefox config file to put the cache into /tmp?
Symlink the existing cache directory to one in /tmp?
Start another instance of tmpfs for this?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 11/01/2011 07:35, Sandy Harris wrote:
> I have a machine with lots of RAM, 8 gigs in a single-user
> desktop machine that runs Open Office, Firefox, and not
> much else. /tmp is already on tmpfs.
>
> I'd like to put the Firefox cache on tmpfs as well. How?
> Edit a Firefox config file to put the cache into /tmp?
> Symlink the existing cache directory to one in /tmp?
> Start another instance of tmpfs for this?

Symlink is the way I would do it.

Gilles.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Basil Chupin

I have a machine with lots of RAM, 8 gigs in a single-user
desktop machine that runs Open Office, Firefox, and not
much else. /tmp is already on tmpfs.

I'd like to put the Firefox cache on tmpfs as well. How?
Edit a Firefox config file to put the cache into /tmp?
Symlink the existing cache directory to one in /tmp?
Start another instance of tmpfs for this?

To begin with, I don't understand why you would want to do this.

You can delete the FF's CACHE every time you close FF by simply using
the Edit/Preferences menu, for example.

(What's so special about /tmp which requires you to put it into tmpfs?)

BC

--
"I would rather deal with a correct asshole than a polite dipshit ANY AND EVERYDAY"
Brian K. White

Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Gilles Gravier

Basil,

On 11/01/2011 08:05, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 17:35, Sandy Harris wrote:
>> I have a machine with lots of RAM, 8 gigs in a single-user
>> desktop machine that runs Open Office, Firefox, and not
>> much else. /tmp is already on tmpfs.
>>
>> I'd like to put the Firefox cache on tmpfs as well. How?
>> Edit a Firefox config file to put the cache into /tmp?
>> Symlink the existing cache directory to one in /tmp?
>> Start another instance of tmpfs for this?
>
> To begin with, I don't understand why you would want to do this.
>
> You can delete the FF's CACHE every time you close FF by simply using
> the Edit/Preferences menu, for example.
>
> (What's so special about /tmp which requires you to put it into tmpfs?)

Performance.

Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.

If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
gets deleted at each reboot).

If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.

Gilles.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Jacob Mansfield

On 11 January 2011 07:28, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Performance.
>
> Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
> as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
> setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.
>
> If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
> gets deleted at each reboot).
>
> If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
> open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
> or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
> increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.
>
> Gilles.

would this clear the browsing history, saved tabs, etc when the system
is rebooted?
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Chris Jones

would this clear the browsing history, saved tabs, etc when the system
is rebooted?

tmpfs is held in ram, so yes, it is wiped on a reboot ....

Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Gilles Gravier

Jacob,

On 11/01/2011 13:56, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 11 January 2011 07:28, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>>> Performance.
>> Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
>> as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
>> setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.
>>
>> If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
>> gets deleted at each reboot).
>>
>> If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
>> open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
>> or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
>> increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.
>>
>> Gilles.
> would this clear the browsing history, saved tabs, etc when the system
> is rebooted?

It only clears what's in tmpfs. If it's just the cache... no. If it's
the rest... yes. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's easy to configure
Firefox to store browsing history, tabs and others in a specific
directory. The cache, yes, that's a directory.

But you can set the settings in Firefox to erase these things at the end
of a session...

Gilles.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:56:51PM +0000, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 11 January 2011 07:28, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> >> Performance.
> >
> > Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
> > as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
> > setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.
> >
> > If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
> > gets deleted at each reboot).
> >
> > If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
> > open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
> > or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
> > increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.

There's no point is there, the disk data will be cached in RAM anyway so
using tmpfs makes no difference.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 11/01/2011 15:30, Chris G wrote:
>>> Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
>>> as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
>>> setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.
>>>
>>> If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
>>> gets deleted at each reboot).
>>>
>>> If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
>>> open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
>>> or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
>>> increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.
>>>
> There's no point is there, the disk data will be cached in RAM anyway so
> using tmpfs makes no difference
Actually, it does. Disk caching algorithms aren't the same as pure
tmpfs. And after some time, you still have to write to the disk, which
you completely avoid with tmpfs... It's easier to symlink your Mozilla
cache directory than to tweak your filesystem caching parameters...

Gilles.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, January 11, 2011 14:08, Chris Jones wrote:

>> would this clear the browsing history, saved tabs, etc when the system
>> is rebooted?
>
> tmpfs is held in ram, so yes, it is wiped on a reboot ....

Actually, no.

The Firefox cache is stored in the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
(see about:cache and about:config)
Browsing history, saved tabs, etc are saved in sqlite files in the Firefox
profile directory. These don't get wiped.

--
Amedee