Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
MirJafar Ali

Default Backing VirtualBox

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello

> I have one simple question. I have VirtualBox that I want to backup to

> install new version. I can see that there is one

> directory named ".VirtualBox". Is doing "cp -r .VirtualBox

> VirtualBoxBakUp"** will correctly backup the VM ? I am asking

> this question as I am not sure how and where VM keeps the file.

> Thanks.

> Mir

No need to do this but if you insist, better go to VBox / File /

Export Appliance. This way you can create a proper copy of your

Virtual Sistems (wherever they might reside).

L.

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

Ubuntu AMD64

GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Hello Lucio

Perhaps I didn't understand the word "if you insist". Does it mean that this step is not at all require ?
As far as I know, there is no version 4 from synaptic, so I will need to download *.deb file from the oracle

site and then install it.

Thanks.

Mir

Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I have one simple question. I have VirtualBox that I want to backup to
>> > install new version. I can see that there is one
>> > directory named ".VirtualBox". Is doing "cp -r .VirtualBox
>> > VirtualBoxBakUp"** will correctly backup the VM ? I am asking
>> > this question as I am not sure how and where VM keeps the file.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > Mir
>>
>> No need to do this but if you insist, better go to VBox / File /
>> Export Appliance. This way you can create a proper copy of your
>> Virtual Sistems (wherever they might reside).
>>

>> L.
>>

> Hello Lucio
>
> Perhaps I didn't understand the word "if you insist". Does it mean that this
> step is not at all require ?
> As far as I know, there is no version 4 from synaptic, so I will need to
> download *.deb file from the oracle
> site and then install it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mir

Mir,

Once you have correctly configured Oracle-VirtualBox repository in you
desktop ( according to instructions on the VB link I previously gave
to you ) the program, VirtualBox can be installed and uninstalled at
will. There's nothing much to bother with. You can use Synaptic or the
command line.

Regarding your data, the VirtualBox images you created when configured
a guest OS, these are not affected by installs or uninstalls, they
remain there, at /home/user/.virtualbox, I guess, if you accepted the
default parameters when first installed.
You can make copies or images of your guest OSs, but if you do, choose
the internal VBox options, like previously stated, otherwise the
copies, if needed, will nor run properly (nothing that cannot be
corrected later)

Of course backup is a very important thing to do (by the way, mine are
always behind schedule), but you need to backup your data, not the
programs.

And no, you do not need to download any .deb. Synaptic will take care
if properly configured. Please read the link.

Lucio

Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
"Boggess Rod"

>> > I have one simple question. I have VirtualBox that I want to backup
>> > install new version. I can see that there is one
<...>

>> No need to do this but if you insist, better go to VBox / File /
>> Export Appliance. This way you can create a proper copy of your
>> Virtual Sistems (wherever they might reside).

<...>

>Hello Lucio
>
>Perhaps I didn't understand the word "if you insist". Does it mean that
>this
>step is not at all require ?

I think you're confusing the application data with the application. If
you create an OpenOffice document, does uninstalling OpenOffice remove
the document? No.

The virtual machines you run inside of VirtualBox are the external
products of the VirtualBox application (a document of sorts). You can
safely remove the VirtualBox application and all of the Virtual Machines
will remain unaffected.

Now, it's theoretically possible that an update in the VirtualBox
application may render the virtual machine unusable (though highly
unlikely, in this case), but even then, the virtual box remains
unaffected. (You'd just need to restore the previous version of the
application or find a tool to upgrade the virtual machine image.)

Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 19:01, Boggess Rod <rboggess@tenovacore.com> wrote:
> Now, it's theoretically possible that an update in the VirtualBox
> application may render the virtual machine unusable (though highly
> unlikely, in this case), but even then, the virtual box remains
> unaffected. (You'd just need to restore the previous version of the
> application or find a tool to upgrade the virtual machine image.)

I had this issue. Just make sure to shut down the virtual machines, do
not simply hibernate them. You can then safely install one of these:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Aptitude will reconfigure some kernel modules, that is normal. Don't
forget to reinstall the Guest Additions after the update, as they are
different for version 4.

Good luck.

--
Dotan Cohen