Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Linda

Default open vim with syntax off

Is there a way to make vi open with syntax off by default
instead of with syntax on?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Avi Greenbury

Linda wrote:
> Is there a way to make vi open with syntax off by default
> instead of with syntax on?

If it's the default you want to set, you need to edit your .vimrc file,
which will be in your home directory. If you do

vim ~/.vimrc

You should find yourself presented with an empty file. Write

syntax off

and save and exit. The next time (and each time thereafter) you open
vim, syntax will be off. ~/.vimrc is your personal vim config file. In
much the same style as ~/.bashrc, it's basically a list of vim commands
to execute on startup. It's executed after /etc/vim/vimrc, which is the
global one.

--
Avi

Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Linda

Linda wrote:

Is there a way to make vi open with syntax off by default
instead of with syntax on?

If it's the default you want to set, you need to edit your .vimrc file,
which will be in your home directory. If you do

vim ~/.vimrc

You should find yourself presented with an empty file. Write

syntax off

and save and exit. The next time (and each time thereafter) you open
vim, syntax will be off. ~/.vimrc is your personal vim config file. In
much the same style as ~/.bashrc, it's basically a list of vim commands
to execute on startup. It's executed after /etc/vim/vimrc, which is the
global one.

Thank you. This was exactly what I needed. I'll have to
look into vim to learn more about it's features instead of
just pretending it is vi.

Linda

Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 17:29 -0600, Linda wrote:
> > Linda wrote:
> >> Is there a way to make vi open with syntax off by default
> >> instead of with syntax on?
> >
> > If it's the default you want to set, you need to edit your .vimrc file,
> > which will be in your home directory. If you do
> >
> > vim ~/.vimrc
> >
> > You should find yourself presented with an empty file. Write
> >
> > syntax off
> >
> > and save and exit. The next time (and each time thereafter) you open
> > vim, syntax will be off. ~/.vimrc is your personal vim config file. In
> > much the same style as ~/.bashrc, it's basically a list of vim commands
> > to execute on startup. It's executed after /etc/vim/vimrc, which is the
> > global one.
> >
> Thank you. This was exactly what I needed. I'll have to
> look into vim to learn more about it's features instead of
> just pretending it is vi.

You can also start it without reading any of the initialization files
(.vimrc, /etc/vim/vimrc) like this:

vim -u NONE file

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Mark Widdicombe

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 15:47 -0600, Linda wrote:
> Is there a way to make vi open with syntax off by default
> instead of with syntax on?

Yes. Add the line:

syntax off

to your .vimrc file.