FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
"Sandor, Todd (Todd)"
 
Default package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

Hi:
*
I seem to have a “broken” system where when attempting to install packages that should be able to be installed, I can not get them installed – details below.
*
I had sent an email on the wireshark-users email list and was told my system is broken and the I should just need to install snmp-mibs-downloader, but these don’t work…
*
Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated…
*
---
sudo apt-get install wireshark snmp-mibs-downloader
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
snmp-mibs-downloader is already the newest version.
The following extra packages will be installed:
* wireshark-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
* wireshark wireshark-common
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 14.5MB of archives.
After this operation, 60.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark-common 1.2.7-1 [13.7MB]
Get:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark 1.2.7-1 [794kB]
Fetched 14.5MB in 12s (1,175kB/s)************************ *********************
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package wireshark-common.
(Reading database ... 173004 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wireshark-common (from .../wireshark-common_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package wireshark.
Unpacking wireshark (from .../wireshark_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_CA.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Setting up postfix (2.7.0-1) ...
adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID - LAST_SYS_UID).
adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
* Package default-mta is not installed.
* Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
* Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
* Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing bsd-mailx (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up wireshark-common (1.2.7-1) ...
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
*
Setting up wireshark (1.2.7-1) ...
*
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libMrm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libXm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libUil.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
Errors were encountered while processing:
postfix
bsd-mailx
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
*
*
*
Part of the riginal email to wireshark users group …
*
sudo apt-get install libsmi2-common
> libsmi2-dev libsmi2ldbl
>
> Reading package lists... Done
>
> Building dependency tree
>
> Reading state information... Done
....
*
*
>
> adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID -
> LAST_SYS_UID).
>
> adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
>
> dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
>
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 1
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
>
> bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
>
> Package default-mta is not installed.
>
> Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
>
> Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
>
> Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
>
> dpkg: error processing bsd-mailx (--configure):
>
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Setting up libsmi2-common (0.4.8+dfsg2-2) ...
>
> No apport report written because the error message indicates its a
> followup error from a previous failure.
>
> Setting up libsmi2ldbl (0.4.8+dfsg2-2) ...
>
> Setting up libsmi2-dev (0.4.8+dfsg2-2) ...
>
> Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
>
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
>
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libMrm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libXm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libUil.so.3 is not a symbolic link
>
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>
> postfix
>
> bsd-mailx
>
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
*
Your system is broken, you should fix it first. Please ask for help on ubuntu users list.
*
*
Search archives, one solution does not work …
*
sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for tsandor:
Setting up postfix (2.7.0-1) ...
adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID - LAST_SYS_UID).
adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
* Package default-mta is not installed.
* Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
* Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
* Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing bsd-mailx (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libMrm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libXm.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libUil.so.3 is not a symbolic link
*
Errors were encountered while processing:
postfix
bsd-mailx
*
*
Must be a generic problem, I get the same error on multiple different packages …
*
*
*



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Sandor, Todd (Todd)
<todd.sandor@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
Hi - please do not post in HTML.

> I seem to have a “broken” system where when attempting to install packages
> that should be able to be installed, I can not get them installed – details
> below.
>
> I had sent an email on the wireshark-users email list and was told my system
> is broken and the I should just need to install snmp-mibs-downloader, but
> these don’t work…
>
> Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated…
>
> ---
> sudo apt-get install wireshark snmp-mibs-downloader
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> snmp-mibs-downloader is already the newest version.
> The following extra packages will be installed:
> * wireshark-common
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
> * wireshark wireshark-common
> 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 14.5MB of archives.
> After this operation, 60.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark-common
> 1.2.7-1 [13.7MB]
> Get:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark 1.2.7-1
> [794kB]
> Fetched 14.5MB in 12s
> (1,175kB/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark-common.
> (Reading database ... 173004 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking wireshark-common (from .../wireshark-common_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark.
> Unpacking wireshark (from .../wireshark_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
> Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_CA.utf8.cache...
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
> Setting up postfix (2.7.0-1) ...
> adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID -
> LAST_SYS_UID).
> adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
> dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
> bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
> * Package default-mta is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
> * Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.

It seems to me that this is the heart of your problem - it shows up in
all the other outputs you posted.

Have you tried to purge postfix, which appears to have been improperly
installed?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Sandor, Todd (Todd)
<todd.sandor@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
Hi - please do not post in HTML.

> I seem to have a “broken” system where when attempting to install packages
> that should be able to be installed, I can not get them installed – details
> below.
>
> I had sent an email on the wireshark-users email list and was told my system
> is broken and the I should just need to install snmp-mibs-downloader, but
> these don’t work…
>
> Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated…
>
> ---
> sudo apt-get install wireshark snmp-mibs-downloader
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> snmp-mibs-downloader is already the newest version.
> The following extra packages will be installed:
> * wireshark-common
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
> * wireshark wireshark-common
> 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 14.5MB of archives.
> After this operation, 60.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark-common
> 1.2.7-1 [13.7MB]
> Get:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark 1.2.7-1
> [794kB]
> Fetched 14.5MB in 12s
> (1,175kB/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark-common.
> (Reading database ... 173004 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking wireshark-common (from .../wireshark-common_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark.
> Unpacking wireshark (from .../wireshark_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
> Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_CA.utf8.cache...
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
> Setting up postfix (2.7.0-1) ...
> adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID -
> LAST_SYS_UID).
> adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
> dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
> bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
> * Package default-mta is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
> * Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.

It seems to me that this is the heart of your problem - it shows up in
all the other outputs you posted.

Have you tried to purge postfix, which appears to have been improperly
installed?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
"Sandor, Todd (Todd)"
 
Default package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

Hi, thanks for the response ...[did not mean to post in html, just did a cut/paste..., sorry].

I removed postfix [it seems to be a mail agent, shouldn't need it...] and that solved the first issue.

Now I run into "ldconfig deferred processing" errors when I attempt to install or remove some packages ...when the installer quits ...

sudo apt-get remove libsmi2-common libsmi2-dev libsmi2ldbl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libcap2-bin
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libsmi2-common libsmi2-dev libsmi2ldbl
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,782kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 172623 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libsmi2-common ...
Removing libsmi2-dev ...
Removing libsmi2ldbl ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libMrm.so.3 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libXm.so.3 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/libUil.so.3 is not a symbolic link

--
I was going to attempt to remove/install libc-bin, but get other errors, anyone with suggestions?


sudo apt-get remove libc-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6: Depends: libc-bin (= 2.11.1-0ubuntu7.5) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
toddler:tsandor:~/wireshark(529)$ sudo apt-get install libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libc6 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libcap2-bin
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of MR ZenWiz
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 6:03 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
Subject: Re: package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Sandor, Todd (Todd)
<todd.sandor@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
Hi - please do not post in HTML.

> I seem to have a "broken" system where when attempting to install packages
> that should be able to be installed, I can not get them installed - details
> below.
>
> I had sent an email on the wireshark-users email list and was told my system
> is broken and the I should just need to install snmp-mibs-downloader, but
> these don't work.
>
> Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ---
> sudo apt-get install wireshark snmp-mibs-downloader
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> snmp-mibs-downloader is already the newest version.
> The following extra packages will be installed:
> * wireshark-common
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
> * wireshark wireshark-common
> 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 14.5MB of archives.
> After this operation, 60.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark-common
> 1.2.7-1 [13.7MB]
> Get:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe wireshark 1.2.7-1
> [794kB]
> Fetched 14.5MB in 12s
> (1,175kB/s)
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark-common.
> (Reading database ... 173004 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking wireshark-common (from .../wireshark-common_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package wireshark.
> Unpacking wireshark (from .../wireshark_1.2.7-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
> Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_CA.utf8.cache...
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
> Setting up postfix (2.7.0-1) ...
> adduser: No UID is available in the range 100-999 (FIRST_SYS_UID -
> LAST_SYS_UID).
> adduser: The user `postfix' was not created.
> dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:
> bsd-mailx depends on default-mta | mail-transport-agent; however:
> * Package default-mta is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides default-mta is not configured yet.
> * Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
> * Package postfix which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.

It seems to me that this is the heart of your problem - it shows up in
all the other outputs you posted.

Have you tried to purge postfix, which appears to have been improperly
installed?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default package installation issue ...ubuntu 10.04 LTS. (> 1 package)...

[Grr - damned gmail/list reply options....]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Sandor, Todd (Todd)
<todd.sandor@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, thanks for the response ...[did not mean to post in html, just did a cut/paste..., sorry].
>
> I removed postfix [it seems to be a mail agent, shouldn't need it...] and that solved the first issue.
>
I said "purge" not "remove" - there is a difference that might explain
your other issues. *Purge postfix to be sure.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org