Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

Default Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64 bit Ubuntu?

On Mon, January 10, 2011 16:33, Bill Stanley wrote:
> I need an opinion on this... Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64
> bit Ubuntu?

According to Wikipedia, the AMD Turion 64-X2 is a low-power 64 bit CPU,
designed for laptops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Turion

The answer to your question, based only on the CPU, is _yes_.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 09:33, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I need an opinion on this... Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64 bit
> Ubuntu?
>
> I want to install Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1504 *notebook computer and I am
> sure that the 32 bit version works but if the 64 bit version works also, I
> would install that instead. *The computers manual under specifications says
> the processor has
>
> data width = 64 bits
> processor address width = 40 bits.
>
> Of course this says nothing about the address and data buses on the computer
> (only the processor). *My suspicion is that this is not a true 64 bit
> processor. *The computer it is installed on also might not be 64 bit. *Does
> anybody know what the true story is or is this just marketing double talk
> meant to confuse the consumer (meaning that it is actually a 32 bit
> computer).
>
> Also... I intend to upgrage the computer memory from the stock 512 MB to 2
> GB or more. * The manual says that 2 GB is the maximum but in some forums I
> have visited say that you can put up to 4 GB in the computer. Once again,
> does anybody out there know the answer to this one?
>
> Bill Stanley

Yes to running Ubuntu.
Dont know about running 32 bit.

Wade

--
---
Registered Linux User: #480675

Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Chris MacDonald

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On Mon, January 10, 2011 16:33, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> I need an opinion on this... Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64
>> bit Ubuntu?
>
> According to Wikipedia, the AMD Turion 64-X2 is a low-power 64 bit CPU,
> designed for laptops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Turion
>
> The answer to your question, based only on the CPU, is _yes_.

When in doubt, give the live CD a try.

Chris

Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 09:41 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 09:33, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> > I need an opinion on this... Can the "AMD Turion 64-X2" processor run 64 bit
> > Ubuntu?
> >
> > I want to install Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1504 notebook computer and I am
> > sure that the 32 bit version works but if the 64 bit version works also, I
> > would install that instead. The computers manual under specifications says
> > the processor has
> >
> > data width = 64 bits
> > processor address width = 40 bits.
> >
> > Of course this says nothing about the address and data buses on the computer
> > (only the processor). My suspicion is that this is not a true 64 bit
> > processor. The computer it is installed on also might not be 64 bit. Does
> > anybody know what the true story is or is this just marketing double talk
> > meant to confuse the consumer (meaning that it is actually a 32 bit
> > computer).
> >
> > Also... I intend to upgrage the computer memory from the stock 512 MB to 2
> > GB or more. The manual says that 2 GB is the maximum but in some forums I
> > have visited say that you can put up to 4 GB in the computer. Once again,
> > does anybody out there know the answer to this one?

Less than 4 gigs of ram, use 32bit. It actually seems to run faster,
with much less hassles. More than 4 gigs, run 64 bit. That seems to be
the consensus of opinion on all the Linux lists. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

That's only confusing market bla-bla from competitor(s)!.
Actually the AMD-processors are 64-bit since - I think - before 2000 and
were surely earlier with full 64-bit processors than their
competitor(s). They still have the better memory-access lanes (goes back
to developments originated in the CRAY machines from the nineties).

Joep

Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
sam tygier

[...]

the 64bit version has more compiler optimisation enabled, and so is faster at many CPU intensive things

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-904-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmarks
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=998&num=3

i guess the developers are more likely to be using 64bit, so that has been improving most.

sam

Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 10:15 +0000, sam tygier wrote:

> the 64bit version has more compiler optimisation enabled, and so is
> faster at many CPU intensive things

>From my own experience, that didn't prove out. I went back to 32bit, as
I am running 2 gigs of memory and 64 bit actually seemed slower,
especially with java applications. Sure, there are hooks to enable, but
it was all-in-all too much hassle for me, out-of-the-box, even as an old
timer. That's my perspective. Ric

Linux user# 44256