Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Albert Wagner

Default How to mount a second partition on start up?

Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
system mount the data partition automatically on startup?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
> that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
> standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
> data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
> to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
> is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
> system mount the data partition automatically on startup?

Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Albert Wagner

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 02:02 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> > Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
> > that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
> > standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
> > data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
> > to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
> > is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
> > system mount the data partition automatically on startup?
>
> Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
>

> --
> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> Ubuntu AMD64
> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Perhaps you know why
# ~
# blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda1
# ~
doesn't return anything

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 02:02 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> > Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
> > that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
> > standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
> > data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
> > to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
> > is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
> > system mount the data partition automatically on startup?
>
> Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
That's what I do. I keep /opt mounted on another partition and back up
my home directory there, plus a few /etc entries. I also keep my music
and videos there, and just make a link from my home directory Video/ and
Music/ to there. Fresh install is a breeze.
Linux user# 44256

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 02:02 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
>> > Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
>> > that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
>> > standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
>> > data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
>> > to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
>> > is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
>> > system mount the data partition automatically on startup?
>>
>> Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
>>

>> --
>> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
>> Ubuntu AMD64
>> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
>>
> Perhaps you know why
> # ~
> # blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda1
> # ~
> doesn't return anything

No, but

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

can help determining the UUID of the partition to be mounted.

L.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Albert Wagner

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 03:04 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
> >>

> >> --
> >> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> >> Ubuntu AMD64
> >> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
> >>
> > Perhaps you know why
> > # ~
> > # blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda1
> > # ~
> > doesn't return anything
> >

> No, but
>
> ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
>
> can help determining the UUID of the partition to be mounted.

Thank you. That works just fine.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 02:02 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
>>> that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
>>> standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
>>> data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
>>> to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
>>> is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
>>> system mount the data partition automatically on startup?
>>
>> Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
>
> Perhaps you know why
> # ~
> # blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda1
> # ~
> doesn't return anything

What's the output of "wipefs /dev/sda1"?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Mike McMullin

On January 9, 2011 11:50:49 pm Albert Wagner wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 02:02 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net>
wrote:
> > > Using Ubuntu 10.10. I have another partition that contains only data
> > > that persists between different OS installations. I have replaced the
> > > standard data folders in ~ with links to corresponding folders in the
> > > data partition, e.g. ~/Documents is actually a link
> > > to /media/data/Documents. Everything is OK if the very first operation
> > > is mounting the data partition. What is a good method of having the
> > > system mount the data partition automatically on startup?
> >
> > Perhaps an additional line in /etc/fstab?
>
> Perhaps you know why
> # ~
> # blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda1
> # ~
> doesn't return anything

Put sudo at the front of that line, my results were as such:

mike@P-733-Lin:~$ blkid -o value UUID /dev/sda1
mike@P-733-Lin:~$ sudo blkid -o value UUID /dev/sda1
[sudo] password for mike:
WinXP