Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Bill Stanley

Default create a boot-able disk from an iso file

I have an iso file which creates a boot-able disk. The file is now on
the desktop of my computer but Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to burn
the disk. (I have no problems burning a regular disk.) It can open the
archive but that is not what I want. obviously, the archive is complete.

PS The iso file might have to create a boot-able DVD because I'm not
sure that a CD will be big enough. I can burn DVD's but is there
anything extra that must be done if it has to be on a dvd disk.

Bill Stanley

Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I have an iso file which creates a boot-able disk. *The file is now on the
> desktop of my computer but Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to burn the disk.
> *(I have no problems burning a regular disk.) *It can open the archive but
> that is not what I want. obviously, the archive is complete.
>
> PS The iso file might have to create a boot-able DVD because I'm not sure
> that a CD will be big enough. *I can burn DVD's but is there anything extra
> that must be done if it has to be on a dvd disk.

I guess you just have to run:

Applications / Sound & Video / Brasero Disk Burner // Burn Image

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Colin Law

On 10 January 2011 00:06, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I have an iso file which creates a boot-able disk. *The file is now on the
> desktop of my computer but Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to burn the disk.
> *(I have no problems burning a regular disk.) *It can open the archive but
> that is not what I want. obviously, the archive is complete.
>
> PS The iso file might have to create a boot-able DVD because I'm not sure
> that a CD will be big enough. *I can burn DVD's but is there anything extra
> that must be done if it has to be on a dvd disk.

If it supposed to be for a CD then it will probably fit. An image
file may be too big to be put on the CD as a file, but ok as an image.

If you open your favourite CD/DVD burning s/w it should have a Burn
Image option somewhere. If you cannot find it tell us which s/w you
are using (look in the help for it first, obviously).

Colin

Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Colin Law

On 10 January 2011 15:52, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I finally was able to run Brosero of the ISO. *There was a file name problem
> which I overcame by renaming the file. *I was still unsuccessful.
>
> 1 the resulting disk was too large for a cr so I tried to create a DVD
> instead. *This seemed to work well in that a DVD was created and verified by
> Brasero to be good. *However, I was unable to boot from the DVD. *I think
> the computer allows booting from a DVD but I am not sure. *It is an Dell
> Inspiron 1501 and has a DVD disk reader/burner installed.

Have you checked the boot sequence by going into the BIOS on startup
and checking the the CD/DVD drive is checked before the hard disk?

Where did you get the image from?

Colin

Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Bill Stanley

I finally was able to run Brosero of the ISO. There was a file name problem
which I overcame by renaming the file. I was still unsuccessful.

1 the resulting disk was too large for a cr so I tried to create a DVD
instead. This seemed to work well in that a DVD was created and verified by
Brasero to be good. However, I was unable to boot from the DVD. I think
the computer allows booting from a DVD but I am not sure. It is an Dell
Inspiron 1501 and has a DVD disk reader/burner installed.

Have you checked the boot sequence by going into the BIOS on startup
and checking the the CD/DVD drive is checked before the hard disk?

Where did you get the image from?

"Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." Actually it is for
Windows XP which I downloaded from the Pirate Bay. I really don't feel
badly about this because Win XP is no longer being sold. The iso file
was originally known as ???.iso.part When I eliminated the .part
extension, brasero accepted it and made a disk that should have been
bootable but wasn't. I need it to create a virtual machine under
Virtual Box and not to install it on a physical machine.

PS. I only pirate stuff which I can't buy or get through normal means.
As such, I don't feel that my actions cause a lost sale.

Bill Stanley

Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

> "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." *Actually it is for [ ].
>*I really don't feel badly about
> this because *[ ] is no longer being sold. *The iso file was originally
> known as ???.iso.part *When I eliminated the .part extension, brasero
> accepted it and made a disk that should have been bootable but wasn't. *I
> need it to create a virtual machine under Virtual Box and not to install it
> on a physical machine.

No need for details... :-)

But then the .iso.part sufix suggests an incomplete download, thus a
broken system.

If you need such an .iso for installing a virtual machine, there's no
need to burn a CD, you can simply choose the iso image as the bootable
device at startup when you configure the guest settings,

(And by the way, beware possible embedded bugs, virus or malware)

L.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Doug

I finally was able to run Brosero of the ISO. There was a file name problem
which I overcame by renaming the file. I was still unsuccessful.

1 the resulting disk was too large for a cr so I tried to create a DVD
instead. This seemed to work well in that a DVD was created and verified by
Brasero to be good. However, I was unable to boot from the DVD. I think
the computer allows booting from a DVD but I am not sure. It is an Dell
Inspiron 1501 and has a DVD disk reader/burner installed.

Have you checked the boot sequence by going into the BIOS on startup
and checking the the CD/DVD drive is checked before the hard disk?

Where did you get the image from?

Colin

Yes, check the bios. I have a similar laptop (1505) and it definitely
_will_

boot from a CD or a DVD. I just tried the Zorin DVD, and it works.

--doug

Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Bill Stanley

[...]

Very good news! Now some further questions. On the download page of
the Ubuntu website I see that there is a separate web-page for netbooks.
What's the difference (if any) between a laptop and a netbook. I
suspect that I do not want the netbook version. Should I go to the
desktop download page and select 64-bit desktop? I have, up to now,
used only a traditional desktop. Are there special procedures to use
when installing Ubuntu to a laptop?

Bill Stanley

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

> Very good news! *Now some further questions. *On the download page of the
> Ubuntu website I see that there is a separate web-page for netbooks. *What's
> the difference (if any) between a laptop and a netbook. * I suspect that I
> do not want the netbook version. *Should I go to the desktop download page
> and select 64-bit desktop? *I have, up to now, used only a traditional
> desktop. *Are there special procedures to use when installing Ubuntu to a
> laptop?

Bill,

I guess you hijacked your own thread, wasn't the subject "create a
boot-able disk from an iso file"?

I also suppose you want the desktop edition for your notebook. But I
could be wrong.

Simple rule:

More than 3.5 GB RAM memory -> 64 bit system

(Although I have a 2 GB station that runs happily on 64, installed by mistake)

As for special instructions regarding laptops installs, better put
them on the table because they tend to warm your lap and people say it
isn't good for your... sorry, too much OT...

L.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Doug

[...]

After my previous reply, it occurred to me: if you actually burned a
DVD, does your laptop have a DVD drive, or only a CD?
The Ubuntu 10.10 download fits on a CD, so if you burned a DVD, you may
need to go back and burn a CD.
You do _not_ want a 64 bit version--your laptop only has a 32 bit
processor, and the 64 bit will not work at all.

The difference you asked about is in the GUI--the standard version
(basically for desktops) uses Gnome. The netbook and
(maybe) the laptop version uses something else, of which the general
consensus is--DON'T! Just use the standard version.
I have standard versions of 4 Linuxes (including Ubuntu 10.10) on my
Dell laptop, plus XP Professional. (I put in a larger hard
drive.) There is no special procedure. Just follow the directions on
the disk.