Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Default create a boot-able disk from an iso file

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 02:47 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Very good news! *Now some further questions. *On the download page of the
>>> Ubuntu website I see that there is a separate web-page for netbooks.
>>> *What's
>>> the difference (if any) between a laptop and a netbook. * I suspect that
>>> do not want the netbook version. *Should I go to the desktop download
>>> page
>>> and select 64-bit desktop? *I have, up to now, used only a traditional
>>> desktop. *Are there special procedures to use when installing Ubuntu to a
>>> laptop?
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> I guess you hijacked your own thread, wasn't the subject "create a
>> boot-able disk from an iso file"?
>>
>> I also suppose you want the desktop edition for your notebook. But I
>> could be wrong.
>>
>> Simple rule:
>>
>> More than 3.5 GB RAM memory -> *64 bit system
>>
>> (Although I have a 2 GB station that runs happily on 64, installed by
>> mistake)
>>
>> As for special instructions regarding laptops installs, better put
>> them on the table because they tend to warm your lap and people say it
>> isn't good for your... sorry, too much OT...
>

> Oops! *You are right about hijacking this thread. *I actually started a
> different thread to ask that question.
>
> The laptop actually belongs to an older woman and I am trying to do a favor
> for her. *She had her Windows *OS THOROUGHLY trashed by a virus. It was so
> bad that she decided to give Ubuntu a try. *So I have a few chores to
> consider.
>
> The first decision was 64-bit or 32 bit. *That has been settled as there is
> no reason to go with 64 bit with less than 4 Gb of RAM.
>
> the second decision was that she still wants to access Windows occasionally.
> * ( I can't blame her for her apprehensions, it's a big step to take for
> most people.) *Wine is out of the question for the average computer user. *I
> considered dual boot but that would leave much of the HD as idle most of the
> time. *She also would have troubles sharing data. *That leaves the VM
> running WinXP. *She is proficient enough to handle most of the issues of a
> VM. *The problem was that the virus badly corrupted the reinstall partition
> that Dell puts on the HD. *They also do not give a physical reinstall disk.
> *Unless someone knows of a legal way to get a reinstall image for use in the
> VM i'm forced to go pirate even though I don't like it.
>
> Bill Stanley

Since some messages were inadvertently sent directly to the OP instead
of the list, I'm re-posting then for easier understanding.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
"Boggess Rod"

>> no reason to go with 64 bit with less than 4 Gb of RAM.
>>
>> the second decision was that she still wants to access Windows
>occasionally.
>> ? ( I can't blame her for her apprehensions, it's a big step to take
for
>> most people.) ?Wine is out of the question for the average computer
user.
>?I
>> considered dual boot but that would leave much of the HD as idle most
of
>the
>> time. ?She also would have troubles sharing data. ?That leaves the VM
>> running WinXP. ?She is proficient enough to handle most of the issues
of
>> VM. ?The problem was that the virus badly corrupted the reinstall
>partition
>> that Dell puts on the HD. ?They also do not give a physical reinstall
>disk.
>> ?Unless someone knows of a legal way to get a reinstall image for use
in
>the
>> VM i'm forced to go pirate even though I don't like it.
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>>

>Since some messages were inadvertently sent directly to the OP instead
>of the list, I'm re-posting then for easier understanding.

The install isn't what makes it illegal -- the lack of a unique license
is. These are probably recoverable from the registry, unfortunately, MS
started encrypting them, so the only way I know to get them is by
running one of several tools (Google is your friend) on the machine in
question. If you can still boot into it, you should try and recover
those licenses.

Also, if you have got the system de-loused, there are tools out there
that will create a VM from the system directly. (I'm guilty, but you
really should make a copy or clone of a system before running anti-virus
just in case it goes badly.) If you can get the license information (it
should also be on a sticker on the laptop somewhere), you might be able
to get some trial XP ISOs from Microsoft or from other places, and just
register the license with the existing code.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Bill Stanley

[...]

I know all this already... Luckily, I was able to download a version of
Win XP where the DRM stuff was disabled. I have to observe the VM
carefully since I know that is is a cracked version. On the plus side,
a lot of the MS bloat-ware has been removed and it is ideal for use in a
VM. (the footprint is very small) Updates are out of the question, the
MS firewall and virus checker ??? has been also disabled. This makes it
really dangerous as a stand alone OS but for a VM (particularly for home
use) it seems OK. Only time will tell.

Bill Stanley

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Basil Chupin