Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Jesse Palser

Default How to upgrade to VirtualBox 4.0

On 01/09/2011 05:21 PM, MirJafar Ali wrote:

Hello

I have VirtualBox 3.2.10 version on my machine and it seems that
version 4 has came up lately. How can I upgrade it because when
I try to install, it says that there are conflicts with the previous
version. Is there way so that I donot loose the data/software within
version

3.2 and still able to upgrade to version 4.0.

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

I think I just uninstalled 3.2 version of VirtualBox
and then installed version 4 of VirtualBox.
(my virtual machines remained after this)

Jesse

Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
sdavmor

I have VirtualBox 3.2.10 version on my machine and it seems that
version 4 has came up lately. How can I upgrade it because when
I try to install, it says that there are conflicts with the previous
version. Is there way so that I donot loose the data/software within
version
3.2 and still able to upgrade to version 4.0.

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

I think I just uninstalled 3.2 version of VirtualBox
and then installed version 4 of VirtualBox.
(my virtual machines remained after this)

Jesse

That's what I did. Uninstall 3.x. Install 4.x
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
MirJafar Ali

I have VirtualBox 3.2.10 version on my machine and it seems that

version 4 has came up lately. How can I upgrade it because when

I try to install, it says that there are conflicts with the previous

version. Is there way so that I donot loose the data/software within

version

3.2 and still able to upgrade to version 4.0.

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

I think I just uninstalled 3.2 version of VirtualBox

and then installed version 4 of VirtualBox.

(my virtual machines remained after this)

Jesse

That's what I did. * Uninstall 3.x. *Install 4.x

http://mikedickson.org.uk

Hello Jesse,

Could you please write the complete command that I should use for uninstallation and then reinstallation.
I am little bit paranoid about making some mistakes and then loosing my data.

Thanks.
Mir

Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Avi Greenbury

MirJafar Ali wrote:
> Could you please write the complete command that I should use for
> uninstallation and then reinstallation.
> I am little bit paranoid about making some mistakes and then loosing
> my data.

To just do a one-off install of the new version, you'd need to do
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-ose
to remove the old one, and then
sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-4.0_4.0.0-69151~Ubuntu~maverick_amd64.deb

This will, then, leave you always with version 4.0.4.0. It'd be easier
in future to add their repository now, by basically following their
'Debian-based linux distributions' instructions. You'll need to remove
virtualbox-ose (as above) first.
That way, every time you do a software upgrade, you'll also get the
latest, Sun-provided, version of Virtualbox.

--
Avi