Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Ric Moore

Default Odd chrs in filenames

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:46 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 17:24, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> Has to do with the char set you are using on your computer. You are
> >> probably using UTF-8 but the chars you see as "diamond" will be
> >> displayed correctly if you switch over to Western (ISO 8859-1). (Or try
> >> the reverse to what I just stated.)
> > If you can sorta figure out the filename and wish to copy/move it to
> > something more ascii, you could just use midnight commander (mc) for a
> > text file handler. When I run into Windows file names full of spaces and
> > prancing pink unicorns with spangles, I use mc to brute force them into
> > submission. It's a manly tool, for us manly Linux-OS men and for the
> > Linux Chics ladies, too! Ric
>
> I prefer to use the compassionate, gentle persuasion, and a soft-voiced
> approach to solving such a problem rather than the "brute force" (you
> brute, you!) approach you are advocating O:-) .
>
> Anyway, watcha doing still messing around with Windows garbage?! Shut
> the damn Windows and stop the bugs from getting in! (Eh, I like what I
> just wrote! I think I'll use it as a sig line - unless you want to use
> of course.)
>
> (Still having a hard time convincing people to switch from Windows, eh?

They make me crazy. Absolutely bonkers. I cannot wean several important
people in my life from Windows. Plus, they use some sort of crazy
Windows/Yahoo mailer that sticks their posts into a single-cell text box
that you cannot middle or bottom post to, or copy from. I'm insane from
it. Gill Bates hates me personally, I know it. <gibbers> Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Henry Kissinger made this statement, "The absence of alternatives clears
the mind marvellously."

Got the message? ;-) .

Plus, they use some sort of crazy
Windows/Yahoo mailer that sticks their posts into a single-cell text box
that you cannot middle or bottom post to, or copy from.

Well, this has nothing to do with Windows but with Yahoo because my wife
uses Linux/Firefox and also patronises a Yahoo site and there is no way
one can split a post into bits when replying to it. However, you CAN
copy from it (at my polite and gentle request my wife just proved this
:-) ).

I'm insane from
it. Gill Bates hates me personally, I know it.<gibbers> Ric

Send him the Jack Russell pup - without the newspaper :-) .

BC

--
"I would rather deal with a correct asshole than a polite dipshit ANY AND EVERYDAY"
Brian K. White

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Mariano Jara

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 02:13 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
[snip]

> Plus, they use some sort of crazy
> Windows/Yahoo mailer that sticks their posts into a single-cell text box
> that you cannot middle or bottom post to, or copy from. I'm insane from
> it. Gill Bates hates me personally, I know it. <gibbers> Ric

The same thing happens over here, and I have to copy & paste to a
plain-text editor like gedit and back to the email message to get rid of
that single-cell text box. It really makes replying to an email a
painful and frustrating experience.

--
Mariano

key 0x310AAA6E GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
http://pgp.mit.edu/
http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/

Registered Ubuntu user #30096
Registered Linux user #503216

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 11:28 -0300, Mariano Jara wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 02:13 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Plus, they use some sort of crazy
> > Windows/Yahoo mailer that sticks their posts into a single-cell text box
> > that you cannot middle or bottom post to, or copy from. I'm insane from
> > it. Gill Bates hates me personally, I know it. <gibbers> Ric
>
> The same thing happens over here, and I have to copy & paste to a
> plain-text editor like gedit and back to the email message to get rid of
> that single-cell text box. It really makes replying to an email a
> painful and frustrating experience.

If someone knows how to filter out that text box cell thingie I'd love
to know of it. I too have to open gedit, copy from the original email
from "da boss" and paste it to gedit and then copy/paste from gedit to
the webpage creator. A pure pain in the tail.

I suspect that Yahoo does that to "copy/protect" the contents, just so
the NSA knows exactly who wrote what when, without it being edited??
That, or they use some sort of compression technique to enhance their
server-farm hard drive's capacity. That is where all of the 40 meg hard
drives went to, I bet. My boss uses Verizon, who farms out the email to
Yahoo, which shows up in the message headers. I loathe Yahoo. I really
really do. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
:

> Well, this has nothing to do with Windows but with Yahoo because my wife
> uses Linux/Firefox and also patronises a Yahoo site and there is no way one
> can split a post into bits when replying to it. However, you CAN copy from
> it (at my polite and gentle request my wife just proved this :-) ).

I occasionally (have to) use Yahoo email, and I've never had a problem
with editing the (included) reply to suit my needs.

(Just tested it with one of my Yahoo IDs - works fine....)