Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Doug

Default first part of line in terminal

Before the ~$ on the terminal, there is--depending on how I installed
the os, I guess--a two word
opening--I don't know what to call it. On this particular distro, it
says doug@dougpclos: On another

machine, where I open up an Ubuntu terminal, it says doug@doug-MM061:

I assume that the first word--doug--is the user, i.e., me. What is the
second? Is it a machine name?
I have to change it in various distros so as to make it consistent
across several distros installed on any one machine. So where can I
find it to change it? And what is MM0-61? I'm sure I never put that in
myself. (Another distro on that same machine does not have MM061; it
has [doug@localhost ~]$ I don't

know why that distro has the [] either.)

I have looked at the various textbooks I have, but since I don't know
what to call this, I haven't been able

to find it anywhere.

Hoping to learn--doug

PS: I wish we could go back to the practice of slashing zeros, at least
on screen.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 23:51 -0500, Doug wrote:
> Before the ~$ on the terminal, there is--depending on how I installed
> the os, I guess--a two word
> opening--I don't know what to call it. On this particular distro, it
> says doug@dougpclos: On another
> machine, where I open up an Ubuntu terminal, it says doug@doug-MM061:
>
> I assume that the first word--doug--is the user, i.e., me. What is the
> second? Is it a machine name?
> I have to change it in various distros so as to make it consistent
> across several distros installed on any one machine. So where can I
> find it to change it? And what is MM0-61? I'm sure I never put that in
> myself. (Another distro on that same machine does not have MM061; it
> has [doug@localhost ~]$ I don't
> know why that distro has the [] either.)

Look in /etc/bash.bashrc. It is the PS1 prompt. You can change it
globally there or you can change it per user in the .bashrc file in your
home directory. Look in the bash man page under the PROMPTING section
which explains what all the backslashed escape characters mean.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Doug

[...]

Thanx. It looks like I have a bit of homework to do! --doug

Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Colin Law

On 9 January 2011 04:51, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> Before the ~$ on the terminal, there is--depending on how I installed the
> os, I guess--a two word
> opening--I don't know what to call it. *On this particular distro, it says
> doug@dougpclos: *On another
> machine, where I open up an Ubuntu terminal, it says doug@doug-MM061:
>
> I assume that the first word--doug--is the user, i.e., me. *What is the
> second? *Is it a machine name?

By default the second is the machine name or hostname I believe. It
can be changed, google shows many links, though some seem to only
apply to particular versions of Ubuntu.

> I have to change it in various distros so as to make it consistent across
> several distros installed on any one machine. *So where can I find it to
> change it? *And what is MM0-61? *I'm sure I never put that in

When installing Ubuntu there is a field for entry of the machine name,
which is defaulted to a value the installer chooses. I don't remember
exactly where that is, but I do know that it is easy to miss, I have
more than once not noticed it and ended up with machine name I did not
want.

Colin

Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Jacob Mansfield

On 09/01/11 08:57, Colin Law wrote:
> When installing Ubuntu there is a field for entry of the machine name,
> which is defaulted to a value the installer chooses. I don't remember
> exactly where that is, but I do know that it is easy to miss, I have
> more than once not noticed it and ended up with machine name I did not
> want.
>
> Colin

The hostname is set in the installation when the default user is created.
assuming ubuntu desktop with a user name of Peter Parker the hostname
becomes Peter-Desktop by default.
this setting can be changed by editing /etc/hostname and rebooting

--
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

import disclaimer from email

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/11 08:57, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> When installing Ubuntu there is a field for entry of the machine name,
>> which is defaulted to a value the installer chooses. *I don't remember
>> exactly where that is, but I do know that it is easy to miss, I have
>> more than once not noticed it and ended up with machine name I did not
>> want.
>
> The hostname is set in the installation when the default user is created.
> assuming ubuntu desktop with a user name of Peter Parker the hostname
> becomes Peter-Desktop by default.
> this setting can be changed by editing /etc/hostname and rebooting

Rebooting isn't necessary.

You can run "hostname <newhostname>" or "sysctl
kernel.hostname=<hostname>" to change the hostname on the fly.

To ensure that this change is persistent across reboots, edit
"/etc/hostname" and "/etc/hosts" (the "127.0.1.1" line and, if you're
using a static ip, the <ip> line).

I've never renamed a box because we always rebuild a box if we rename
it, but there may be other files to edit depending on your setup (if
you're running a mail server, you have to change "/etc/mailname"; if
you're running mdadm, you *may* have to update the metadata and the
initrd).

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Colin Law

On 9 January 2011 10:22, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/11 08:57, Colin Law wrote:
>> When installing Ubuntu there is a field for entry of the machine name,
>> which is defaulted to a value the installer chooses. *I don't remember
>> exactly where that is, but I do know that it is easy to miss, I have
>> more than once not noticed it and ended up with machine name I did not
>> want.
>>
>> Colin
>
> The hostname is set in the installation when the default user is created.
> assuming ubuntu desktop with a user name of Peter Parker the hostname
> becomes Peter-Desktop by default.
> this setting can be changed by editing /etc/hostname and rebooting

That would explain why I missed it, the option never appeared! It is
not always name-desktop though, sometimes it is -laptop.

For anyone that does not know, to edit that file open a terminal
(Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and enter
gksu gedit /etc/hostname

Colin