Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Albert Wagner

Default 10.04->10.10 Personal File Sharing

In System->Administration, I had an item named "Personal File Sharing"
as well as "Shared Folders". "Personal File Sharing" behaved very
badly, complaining about uninstalled software (unidentified) Related
installations caused Synaptic to fail. So I then tried "Shared Folders"
and that app seemed entangled with the first. I removed both entries in
the Preferences->MainMenu app and activated "Shared Folders" again.
"Personal File Sharing" no longer exists in the MainMenu app. Yet,
although I selected NFS rather than Samba, parts of the app still
complain about parts of Samba being missing.

Is upgrading, rather than new install, always cluttered with artifacts
of both versions? I have used Ubuntu since 5.10, but have always
installed new and never before upgraded. Is there a list anywhere of
such artifacts? Or should I just bite the bullet and install clean?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> In System->Administration, I had an item named "Personal File Sharing" as
> well as "Shared Folders". *"Personal File Sharing" behaved very badly,
> complaining about uninstalled software (unidentified) Related installations
> caused Synaptic to fail. *So I then tried "Shared Folders" and that app
> seemed entangled with the first. *I removed both entries in the
> Preferences->MainMenu app and activated "Shared Folders" again. *"Personal
> File Sharing" no longer exists in the MainMenu app. *Yet, although I
> selected NFS rather than Samba, parts of the app still complain about parts
> of Samba being missing.
>
> Is upgrading, rather than new install, always cluttered with artifacts of
> both versions? *I have used Ubuntu since 5.10, but have always installed new
> and never before upgraded. *Is there a list anywhere of such artifacts? Or
> should I just bite the bullet and install clean?

Albert,

In my 10.10, Shared Folders behaved so badly that I only took it back
to the menu to check its name to reply to your post (it will be
removed very soon). Thus I instead use Samba for sharing and sshfs to
mount remote folders.

As for upgrading, I have tried both ways with relative success, but in
my main station I always go for a clean install on a fresh partition.
In the next release upgrade even /home I intend to recreate to get rid
of old residual configs. It takes a lot of extra work but it is fool
proof.

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.