Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Karl Larsen

Default dvd/cd repositories

Chris Lemire wrote:
> I notice that Debian comes on 14 cds or 3~4 dvds. You get a minimal
> install by default like Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you want to install
> more software, synaptic or apt will say insert disk number such and
> such. My friend has 28 k dial up with Ubuntu on his laptop. What I'd
> like to do is create those dvds or cds for him that are fully loaded
> with extra software including multiverse repositories. I don't mind
> spending a couple of days downloading it all for him. I have 640 gb of
> total hard drive space but not all unused and a FIOS connection that I
> can use for downloading all the deb packages. How can I create those
> extra disks for him, so that when he wants to install software, he
> will be told to insert disk such and such?

I think the Ubuntu way is best even if he is using a 56KB/sec modem
at 35KB/sec/

He/She can leave the computer on over night and later your up-to-date...

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
"Christopher Lemire"

Not an option. The winmodem can't connect to the internet with 28 kbs,
and I've gone through hell to get that working including running
scanModem and emailing the linmodems.org mailing list.

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 AM
bob davis

Chris Lemire wrote:
> I notice that Debian comes on 14 cds or 3~4 dvds. You get a minimal
> install by default like Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you want to install
> more software, synaptic or apt will say insert disk number such and
> such. My friend has 28 k dial up with Ubuntu on his laptop. What I'd
> like to do is create those dvds or cds for him that are fully loaded
> with extra software including multiverse repositories. I don't mind
> spending a couple of days downloading it all for him. I have 640 gb of
> total hard drive space but not all unused and a FIOS connection that I
> can use for downloading all the deb packages. How can I create those
> extra disks for him, so that when he wants to install software, he
> will be told to insert disk such and such?

There has to be a command like
wget all the repository paths in sources.list.

Also something like:
apt-get -d install '*'
and then you would have to find where it downloaded all the deb pkg's
and configure the disk and target system to find the downloaded pkg's on
the disk.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Rashkae

Chris Lemire wrote:
> I notice that Debian comes on 14 cds or 3~4 dvds. You get a minimal
> install by default like Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you want to install
> more software, synaptic or apt will say insert disk number such and
> such. My friend has 28 k dial up with Ubuntu on his laptop. What I'd
> like to do is create those dvds or cds for him that are fully loaded
> with extra software including multiverse repositories. I don't mind
> spending a couple of days downloading it all for him. I have 640 gb of
> total hard drive space but not all unused and a FIOS connection that I
> can use for downloading all the deb packages. How can I create those
> extra disks for him, so that when he wants to install software, he
> will be told to insert disk such and such?

Very do-able (and I think a damn good idea for lots of reasons). You
need a few special tools, all available in the repos.

See here:

http://blog.entner.net/2006/08/16/make-ubuntu-dvds-including-everything/

One of the things I do differently from this guide is I do not include
the updates in my set, but download/burn those separately. That way, I
only have to refresh a single 'update' dvd periodically, rather than
creating a new set of 4 DVD's

Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Derek Broughton

bob davis wrote:

> Chris Lemire wrote:
>> I notice that Debian comes on 14 cds or 3~4 dvds. You get a minimal
>> install by default like Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you want to install
>> more software, synaptic or apt will say insert disk number such and
>> such. My friend has 28 k dial up with Ubuntu on his laptop. What I'd
>> like to do is create those dvds or cds for him that are fully loaded
>> with extra software including multiverse repositories. I don't mind
>> spending a couple of days downloading it all for him. I have 640 gb of
>> total hard drive space but not all unused and a FIOS connection that I
>> can use for downloading all the deb packages. How can I create those
>> extra disks for him, so that when he wants to install software, he
>> will be told to insert disk such and such?
>>
> There has to be a command like
> wget all the repository paths in sources.list.

See apt-move, apt-mirror, debmirror and probably numerous others. :-)
--
derek

Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

You can use the apt-get -d install <PACKAGE> . This will set apt-get into a download only mode. Then you may find your downloaded packages and dependancies in /var/cache/apt/archives/

Then you can stick them into your mega massive hard drive space and give it to your broadband-less buddy to use

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
Nicosia , Cyprus
Blog: http://www.blupenguin.com