Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
MirJafar Ali

Default VirtualBox Upgrade problem,

Hello

I have one old version of VirtualBox installed on my Ubuntu machine and now I would like to install the new
version provided by the Oracle, but I get the following message:

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.

Can someone help with this error ?

Mir

Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have one old version of VirtualBox installed on my Ubuntu machine and now
> I would like to install the new
> version provided by the Oracle, but I get the following message:
>

> There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows
> you to install/remove software and to perform other package management
> related tasks.

Perhaps a broken package on Synaptic? Are you able to install or
remove any other software? Can you sudo "apt-get update" and "apt-get
dist-upgrade? Which Ubuntu release are you running? Is your host 32 or
64? And your guests? Have you checked your BIOS regarding the VB
message on your other post in this list? How are you trying to
upgrade? Have you uninstalled the previous version? Have you followed
the Oracle instructions at:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads regarding VirtualBox
install?

(This (aptitude) list does not have Super Cow Powers)

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
MirJafar Ali

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello

> I have one old version of VirtualBox installed on my Ubuntu machine and now

> I would like to install the new

> version provided by the Oracle, but I get the following message:

> There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows

> you to install/remove software and to perform other package management

> related tasks.

Perhaps a broken package on Synaptic? Are you able to install or

remove any other software? Can you sudo "apt-get update" and "apt-get

dist-upgrade? Which Ubuntu release are you running? Is your host 32 or

64? And your guests? Have you checked your BIOS regarding the VB

message on your other post in this list? How are you trying to

upgrade? Have you uninstalled the previous version? Have you followed

the Oracle instructions at:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads regarding VirtualBox

install?

(This (aptitude) list does not have Super Cow Powers)

L.

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

Ubuntu AMD64

GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

I did exactly as you had suggested, but still I could not get the problem resolved.

1.* I have 64 bit machine running Intel Quad-Core processor.
2.* Guest is Window 7.
3.* I do not know BIOS setting at all.

4.* I was trying to click on *.deb package, and hoping that it will install automatically.
5.* No I didn't uninstall the previous version. I was worried if that could destroy my previous packages.
6. Yes, I followed the instructions provided by the Oracle ( example apt-get clean etc.)

Thanks.