-   -   Where is (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/473884-where.html)

william drescher 01-08-2011 10:48 AM

Where is

I have unix experience and am just learning linux.
Where is the entry that starts mySQL ? I need to edit it to
start binlogging.

Thanks all.

bill

Avi Greenbury 01-08-2011 11:22 AM

Where is

william drescher wrote:
> I have unix experience and am just learning linux.
> Where is the entry that starts mySQL ? I need to edit it to
> start binlogging.

The MySQL config file is at

/etc/mysql/my.cnf

And you can start, stop or restart it by using the appropriate argument
on its init script, so:

/etc/init.d/mysql restart

to restart it. Newer Ubuntus use upstart which provides a different way
of restarting mysql, but I don't have one of those handy at the minute
to refer to and a quick google doesn't return much. I've a feeling it
is the RedHatish

service mysql restart

that you're used to, but I'm not sure. Either way, there are dummy
init scripts in place so the init.d way will still work.

--
Avi.

--
Avi.

Chris G 01-08-2011 11:25 AM

Where is

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 06:48:06AM -0500, william drescher wrote:
> I have unix experience and am just learning linux.
> Where is the entry that starts mySQL ? I need to edit it to start
> binlogging.

Do you mean what starts the mysql daemon process(es)? If so then it's
the file in /etc/init.d. Any executable found in /etc/init.d is a
startup file run at system boot time (simplification, but near enough).

You'll find /etc/init.d/mysql which takes parameters start, stop and
restart (plus any other special ones for the specific daemon) and if you
look in /etc/init.d/mysql you'll be able to see what "/etc/init.d/mysql
start" does and, thence, where the configuration is. Alternatively look
at the man page for mysqld.

If you didn't mean this please explain further! :-)

--
Chris Green