Old 01-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Albert Wagner

Default broken package in Synaptic

I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 (actual upgrade, not new install).
I have 3 machines on a local wireless and was attempting to set up
simple file sharing.

System->Preferences->Personal File Sharing
"This feature cannot be enabled because the required packages are not
installed on your system"

It made no indication just what the required packages were. So I guessed.

I thought that perhaps reinstalling "gnome-user-share 2.30.0" in
Synaptic might help, however,

that yielded:
E: man-db: subprocess installed post-installation script killed by
signal (Segmentation fault)
E: samba: subprocess installed post-installation script killed by signal
(Segmentation fault)
E: libpam-smbpass: subprocess installed post-installation script
returned error exit status 139

Is this a known artifact of the upgrade? I hesitate to file a bug
report because I have usually done something stupid.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:
> I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 (actual upgrade, not new install).
> I have 3 machines on a local wireless and was attempting to set up simple
> file sharing.
> System->Preferences->Personal File Sharing
> "This feature cannot be enabled because the required packages are not
> installed on your system"
>
> It made no indication just what the required packages were. So I guessed.
>
> I thought that perhaps reinstalling "gnome-user-share 2.30.0" in Synaptic
> might help, however,
> that yielded:
> E: man-db: subprocess installed post-installation script killed by signal
> (Segmentation fault)
> E: samba: subprocess installed post-installation script killed by signal
> (Segmentation fault)
> E: libpam-smbpass: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
> error exit status 139
>
> Is this a known artifact of the upgrade? *I hesitate to file a bug report
> because I have usually done something stupid.

(In my system) System / Administration / Shared Folders is part of
"gnome-system-tools" not "gnome-user-share". It looks like in 10.10
"gnome-user-share" is optional, not part of a standard install.
Perhaps you might need Samba of sshfs.

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Albert Wagner

[...]

Thanks, Lucio, but SharedFolders and PersonalFileSharing are two different apps. I no longer have a 10.04 installation, but I am guessing that PersonalFileSharing was leftover from 10.04.