Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
James Tappin

Default can not do rm on a file

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 02:46:11 +0530
Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

TM> This is the most frustrating problem I have ever faced and posting
TM> here. I have a file file.something ls -l output
TM>
TM> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas 30 2010-10-06 20:14 file1.txt
TM> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas 441712640 2011-01-08 02:40 file2.exe
TM>
TM> now I do as root
TM>
TM> rm file2.exe
TM> rm: cannot remove `file2.exe': Read-only file system
TM>
TM> How is this possible inspite of the read write permissions I am not
TM> able to delete it I have tried it doing as root even.
TM> The OS is 10.04 64 bit.

The error message is saying that the filesystme is mounted read-only.
This may be an intentional move in which case "mount -o remount,rw
<mount-point>" will work (where <mount-point> is the mount point of the
file system as revealed from /etc/fstab or from df [e.g. /home /data
/usr/local ...]). This can also be caused by a corrupted filesystem, in
which case your easiest option would be to copy the stuff you do want to
another disk and replace or at least reformat[*] this one. And of course
all optical media (even CDRW and DVD-RW) are instrinsically read only.
[*] Unless I had a pretty good idea why it got currupted (e.g. a memory
stick in a camera that got currupted when the battery went flat) I'd be
very disinclined to use a reformatted device for anything important.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:05 AM, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 02:46:11 +0530
> Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TM> This is the most frustrating problem I have ever faced and posting
> TM> here. I have a file file.something ls -l output
> TM>
> TM> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas * * * *30 2010-10-06 20:14 file1.txt
> TM> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas 441712640 2011-01-08 02:40 file2.exe
> TM>
> TM> now I do as root
> TM>
> TM> rm file2.exe
> TM> rm: cannot remove `file2.exe': Read-only file system
> TM>
> TM> How is this possible inspite of the read write permissions I am not
> TM> able to delete it I have tried it doing as root even.
> TM> The OS is 10.04 64 bit.
>
> The error message is saying that the filesystme is mounted read-only.
> This may be an intentional move in which case "mount -o remount,rw
No no no when ever I connect a USB be it thumb drive or hard disk it
automatically mounts in /media folder.
I do not touch the fstab file after installation

> <mount-point>" will work (where <mount-point> is the mount point of the
> file system as revealed from /etc/fstab or from df [e.g. /home /data
> /usr/local ...]). This can also be caused by a corrupted filesystem, in
> which case your easiest option would be to copy the stuff you do want to
> another disk and replace or at least reformat[*] this one. And of course
> all optical media (even CDRW and DVD-RW) are instrinsically read only.
Just to remove/delete a file I have to go through this painful process.
>[*] Unless I had a pretty good idea why it got currupted (e.g. a memory
> stick in a camera that got currupted when the battery went flat) I'd be
> very disinclined to use a reformatted device for anything important.

The output of mount command
/dev/sdc2 on /media/NEW VOLUME type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

I have not touched any of the fstab entry or any file system related thing.
I was normally working and needed to transfer some data to USB and
when I did that I found this problem.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas * * * *30 2010-10-06 20:14 file1.txt
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 tapas tapas 441712640 2011-01-08 02:40 file2.exe
>
> now I do as root
>
> rm file2.exe
> rm: cannot remove `file2.exe': Read-only file system

Sometimes when a file system gets damaged the kernel will mark it
read-only until it's fixed. I've seen this more on boot problems
where the kernel does not boot properly and the only way I've found to
recover from that is boot from the CD and fix the problems that way.
It also sometimes happens on nfs mounts that don't have the right
permissions set.
But those don't seem to be your issue.

Have you tried removing and reinserting the drive? Sometimes this will help.

Have you tried the 'mount -o remount,rw <mount-point>' option (and
what does that say)?

There may be a hard error somewhere in your drive's FAT tables, in
which case it won't behave properly at all and this could be a symptom
of that.

As a desperate resort, you can try plugging the drive into another
computer, possibly (dare I say this?) a Windows box. Sometimes that
can help....

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 05:50:19 +0800, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com>
wrote:

I have not touched any of the fstab entry or any file system related
thing.

I was normally working and needed to transfer some data to USB and
when I did that I found this problem.

If all else fail, tried "rm -Rf file2.exe"? Of course, handle with care
with commands like this.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a desperate resort, you can try plugging the drive into another
> computer, possibly (dare I say this?) a Windows box. *Sometimes that
> can help....
Ok I did this and that actually worked !!!