-   -   Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/473639-ubuntu-10-10-netbook-64-bit.html)

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 01-07-2011 05:12 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

Hi all I thought some one told me that the Atom chip had the 2 architectures 32 and 64.
Is this correct?
Is it possible to download an image of the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition for 64bit?

f(t)

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-10-2011 05:12 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all I thought some one told me that the Atom chip had the 2 architectures
> 32 and 64.
> Is this correct?
> Is it possible to download an image of the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition for
> 64bit?

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

"Atom implements the x86 (IA-32) instruction set; x86-64 is so far
only activated for the desktop Diamondville and desktop and mobile
Pineview cores. The Atom N2xx and Z5xx series Atom models cannot run
x86-64 code."

Seemingly, it depends on the model.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Ubuntu AMD64

Greg Bair 01-10-2011 05:54 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:12:16 -0300
Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all I thought some one told me that the Atom chip had the 2
> architectures 32 and 64.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Is it possible to download an image of the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook
> edition for 64bit?
>
> f(t)

Only the Diamondville and Pineview CPUs support 64bit instructions,
which from my understanding are the D4xx, D5xx (desktop chips), N4xx,
and N5xx (mobile chips).

And, no, Netbook edition is only available in 32-bit. However, the
only real difference between netbook and desktop (I think) is Unity.

--
Greg Bair
PHP Developer

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 01-10-2011 06:08 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

Strange. I have an assus eeepc.
I've just installed the Ubuntu 64bit edition.
Could it be that the setup installs 32bit version without saying anything?

As soon as I get home I'll confirm I have installed the 64bit edition.
f(t)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail

<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all I thought some one told me that the Atom chip had the 2 architectures

> 32 and 64.

> Is this correct?

> Is it possible to download an image of the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition for

> 64bit?

From Wiki:

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-10-2011 06:56 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Strange. I have an assus eeepc.
> I've just installed the Ubuntu 64bit edition.
> Could it be that the setup installs 32bit version without saying anything?

No way, 64 would never install on a 32 bit system (or it would?) and
install CDs for 32 and 64 are distinct.

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 01-10-2011 07:31 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

Ergo I have installed the 64bit on my asus Atom laptop.
:-)
I didn't wanted to contradict anyone...
f(T)

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-10-2011 07:59 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ergo I have installed the 64bit on my asus Atom laptop.
> :-)
> I didn't wanted to contradict anyone...

So it seems your Atom processor has indeed a 64 bit instructions set.

(and please, do not top post, reply always after the message, not
before, and trim unneeded stuff)

Tks,

Lucio

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 01-11-2011 01:48 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail

<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ergo I have installed the 64bit on my asus Atom laptop.

> :-)

> I didn't wanted to contradict anyone...

So it seems your Atom processor has indeed a 64 bit instructions set.

(and please, do not top post, reply always after the message, not

before, and trim unneeded stuff)

Tks,

Lucio

Like this? :-)
f(t)*

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-11-2011 03:43 PM

Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook 64 bit?

>> (and please, do not top post, reply always after the message, not
>> before, and trim unneeded stuff)
>>
>> Tks,
>>
>> Lucio
>>

> Like this? :-)