Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
"Eric S. Johansson"

Default to user oriented problems (printing PDF and deep-sixing evolution

1) in a recent encounter with a large number of government forms, I discovered
that Linux PDF viewers as a world, don't measure up. (Hint, check out Social
Security disability forms). Finally we found a viewer that might work most of
the time "PDF viewer 0.1.6" it says in the help menu.

Problem is, you can't print from it. Who ever thought of putting up a PDF
viewer you can't print from!? I am about a half a day away from making the time
to install wine and Adobe's PDF viewer/printer. Before I go down the dark
route, are there any other alternatives that are bug for bug compatible with Adobe?

2) it took me God knows how many years to break my wife of using mutt. I think
what did it was her friends sending pictures and her not being able to see
anything except base 64 encoded text. Anyway, she found evolution unusable and
greatly prefers Thunderbird. Unfortunately, all the convenience functions
sending a link from a browser don't work correctly. Sending a link brings up
evolution instead of Thunderbird. is there anything to do to fix these
problems? Maybe if I remove evolution and reinstall Thunderbird?

Thank you for whatever advice you can give me on these matters.

---eric

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 AM
NoOp

On 02/04/2008 03:29 PM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> 1) in a recent encounter with a large number of government forms, I
> discovered that Linux PDF viewers as a world, don't measure up.
> (Hint, check out Social Security disability forms).

Do you have a link to a particular form?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 AM
NoOp

On 02/04/2008 07:06 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/04/2008 03:29 PM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>> 1) in a recent encounter with a large number of government forms, I
>> discovered that Linux PDF viewers as a world, don't measure up.
>> (Hint, check out Social Security disability forms).
>
> Do you have a link to a particular form?

OK. For the heck of it I downloaded 3 forms from http://www.ssa.gov/online/

ssa-546.pdf
ssa-3441.pdf
ssa-7008.pdf

and all print out just fine from Evince, Adobe Reader 8.1.1, and xpdf.
That includes printing to a USB & networked Canon MP75 *and* to a
virtual cups-pdf printer.

So what seems to be the problem on your side? BTW: None of the forms
that I found on that site so far are user fillable from a pdf client.
Apparently SSA like to employ workers to decipher handwriting from the
forms.