Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Greg Bair

Default Dual-core Atom Processors

Anyone have any experiences with these processors? More specifically
the D510? A friend and I are having a friendly bet on who can put
together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to be given to a
local charity).

I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
support it. But another forum thread that said Fedora 12 supported
it, and I'm guessing that 10.10 probably does too. A review of one on
newegg stated that it was perfect for firewalls, but didn't say what
distro plus I want to use it in a graphical desktop environment.

The small power consumption is very attractive. And if I can use it, I
found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.

--
Greg Bair
PHP Developer

Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Alan Pope

On 7 January 2011 12:55, Greg Bair <gregbair.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences with these processors? *More specifically
> the D510? *A friend and I are having a friendly bet on who can put
> together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to be given to a
> local charity).

I've yet to see a dual core atom that Ubuntu didn't like.

> I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
> support it.

URL?

> The small power consumption is very attractive. *And if I can use it, I
> found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.

I would personally go for a ready built machine like this:-

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-MAG-Intel-NVIDIA-HD-ND01-U/dp/B0030UH2J4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294405473&sr=8-4
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236579

..or cheaper options like the R3600, R3610. These are all dual core
Atom based with ION/ION2 based video cards. They make for pretty nice
little desktops. My mum uses one.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Jesse Palser

[...]

Hi,

Got a netbook with a dual core 1.6GHz Atom CPU.
Ubuntu 10.04 and now 10.10 run perfect on it.

Jesse

Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Greg Bair <gregbair.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any experiences with these processors? *More specifically
> the D510? *A friend and I are having a friendly bet on who can put
> together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to be given to a
> local charity).
>
> I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
> support it. *But another forum thread that said Fedora 12 supported
> it, and I'm guessing that 10.10 probably does too. *A review of one on
> newegg stated that it was perfect for firewalls, but didn't say what
> distro plus I want to use it in a graphical desktop environment.
>
> The small power consumption is very attractive. *And if I can use it, I
> found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.

First hit on Google:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EFmW_cuO0

Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
ms

Anyone have any experiences with these processors? More specifically
the D510? A friend and I are having a friendly bet on who can put
together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to be given to a
local charity).

I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
support it. But another forum thread that said Fedora 12 supported
it, and I'm guessing that 10.10 probably does too. A review of one on
newegg stated that it was perfect for firewalls, but didn't say what
distro plus I want to use it in a graphical desktop environment.

The small power consumption is very attractive. And if I can use it, I
found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.

Writing you with a dual-core Atom on an Asus eee 1201n.

m.

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org

Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Greg Bair

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:05:06 +0000
Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 7 January 2011 12:55, Greg Bair <gregbair.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any experiences with these processors? *More
> > specifically the D510? *A friend and I are having a friendly bet on
> > who can put together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to
> > be given to a local charity).
> >

> I've yet to see a dual core atom that Ubuntu didn't like.
>
> > I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
> > support it.
>
> URL?

Although, I will say that it is an old thread, and I didn't read till
the end until now. Someone posted a youtube video showing it working.

> > The small power consumption is very attractive. *And if I can use
> > it, I found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.
> >

> I would personally go for a ready built machine like this:-
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-MAG-Intel-NVIDIA-HD-ND01-U/dp/B0030UH2J4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294405473&sr=8-4
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236579
>
> ..or cheaper options like the R3600, R3610. These are all dual core
> Atom based with ION/ION2 based video cards. They make for pretty nice
> little desktops. My mum uses one.

That does look nice, but that defeats the purpose of the bet. And
the Intel mobo has ION graphics, so no prob there.

> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Looks like I'll be able to use this
cpu. On another note, while looking through these things, I might just
pick an atom-based pc up for me. Probably use it to replace my 9-year
old IBM tower I'm using as a web development server.

--
Greg Bair
PHP Developer

Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Nataraj

On 01/07/2011 08:10 AM, ms wrote:
> On 07/01/11 12:55, Greg Bair wrote:
>> Anyone have any experiences with these processors? More specifically
>> the D510? A friend and I are having a friendly bet on who can put
>> together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to be given to a
>> local charity).
>>
>> I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
>> support it. But another forum thread that said Fedora 12 supported
>> it, and I'm guessing that 10.10 probably does too. A review of one on
>> newegg stated that it was perfect for firewalls, but didn't say what
>> distro plus I want to use it in a graphical desktop environment.
>>
>> The small power consumption is very attractive. And if I can use it, I
>> found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.
>>

> Writing you with a dual-core Atom on an Asus eee 1201n.
> on
> m.

If anyone with one of these dual-core Atom systems has any performance
statistics on how much bandwidth can be pushed through an openvpn (or
possibly IPSEC) vpn connection, I would be interested. I'm considering
these to use for a small firewall vpn server. I'm also looking at some
small via based systems that are slower, but have padlock encryption
chips and can do about 21MB. One source for complete atom based systems
and motherboards that I'm looking at is this:
http://www.habeyusa.com/products.php?id=124

Nataraj