FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:20:00AM +0000, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and after the upgrade gnome panel
> does not seem to load on one of my screens. I have a dual card X
> configuration with two radeon cards and I'm using the open source
> radeon driver for X.
>
> When gdm starts the login dialog actually shows up on the left display
> but then once I've logged in gnome panel only starts on the right
> display. All I see on the left is the desktop background and my mouse
> pointer when I move it over to the left display.
>
> Anyone have a clue what's happened here and how to fix it?

You have a perfectly normal extended desktop. You can drag windows (and
panels) from the right monitor to the left whenever you like.

If you'd prefer to have a single desktop cloned to both monitors, you
can do that too: System -> Preferences -> Monitors then select "Same
image in all monitors".

Marius Gedminas
--
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Fredrik Jonson
 
Default Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

Marius Gedminas wrote:

> Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> > I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and after the upgrade gnome panel
> > does not seem to load on one of my screens. I have a dual card X
> > configuration.
>
> You have a perfectly normal extended desktop. You can drag windows (and
> panels) from the right monitor to the left whenever you like.

I'm not sure that it is all that normal.

Do note that I have the two screens connected to two physically separate
graphics cards. Not two monitors on the same cards, and not using xinerama.

I cannot drag windows from one monitor to the other, and I never could before
the upgrade either. I could obviously drag windows from one workspace to to
another on the same screen, and I also could swich workspaces independently
on each screen, so I could see workspace 1 on the left screen and workspace
3 on the right one. And the latter behaviour is by the way just how I want it.

--
Fredrik Jonson


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:39:11AM +0000, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
> > Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> > > I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and after the upgrade gnome panel
> > > does not seem to load on one of my screens. I have a dual card X
> > > configuration.
> >
> > You have a perfectly normal extended desktop. You can drag windows (and
> > panels) from the right monitor to the left whenever you like.
>
> I'm not sure that it is all that normal.
>
> Do note that I have the two screens connected to two physically separate
> graphics cards. Not two monitors on the same cards, and not using xinerama.

I see. Then I'm afraid I cannot help you, as I don't use this sort of
configuration myself...

> I cannot drag windows from one monitor to the other, and I never could before
> the upgrade either. I could obviously drag windows from one workspace to to
> another on the same screen, and I also could swich workspaces independently
> on each screen, so I could see workspace 1 on the left screen and workspace
> 3 on the right one. And the latter behaviour is by the way just how I want it.

Marius Gedminas
--
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Fredrik Jonson
 
Default Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

In <slrniidmm9.hi9.fredrik@scout.jonson.org> Fredrik Jonson wrote:

> I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and after the upgrade gnome panel
> does not seem to load on one of my screens. I have a dual card X
> configuration with two radeon cards...

And the plot thickens. When i try to logout or shut down using the
indicator applet the usual logout dialog does not appear on the right
screen that has a working panel, instead nothing seems to happen.

If I after doing that run the command 'gnome-session-save --logout',
the logout dialog flicker by for a instant on the empty left screen
after wich the session is logged out.

Seems like gnome somehow is aware of the left screen after all, just
unable to start a session on it or something.

--
Fredrik Jonson


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Fredrik Jonson <fredrik@jonson.org> wrote:
>
> Seems like gnome somehow is aware of the left screen after all, just
> unable to start a session on it or something.
>
I think you have to use a smarter screen manager, maybe xinerama.

I have two monitors on the same graphics card and I get screwy results
with it, but both screens work.

I'm using the native nvidia driver (which won't help for your ATI
cards) and that forces me to use xinerama if I want both displays to
work. The strange part is that I have the "top" panel on the right
side, but it is on the right side of the left panel (and it anchors
there), but windows can go behind it onto the right panel and fill
that up without any trouble. It seems to treat them as two separate
screens on the same desktop.

I have tried using them as a single continuous desktop, which is the
only way they work without xinerama, but that has other difficulties
(like things showing up in the center of the virtual screen, thus
being split onto both panels making them hard to read, and having a
too-wide expanse for vertical panels to work well).

What combinations of monitor setup have you tried using the
System->Preferences->Monitors and System->Administration->Display
settings? (On mine, the Monitors doesn't work because xinerama
clobbers RANDR, and the NVidia X Server Settings show up in both
preferences and administration....)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org