Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default Which tty gets the X server?

Having just crashed my X server a few times (Libre/Open Office issues
- not here), I noticed something interesting.

I thought the X server (gdm, etc.) ran on tty7, with ttys 1-6 being
the alternate, text-only virtual consoles. After crashing, it seems
that the X server moves to tty8 and even tty9 (if tty8 crashes).

Can anyone verify (and explain) this? Seems pretty strange to me....

Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Chris Angelico

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the X server (gdm, etc.) ran on tty7, with ttys 1-6 being
> the alternate, text-only virtual consoles. *After crashing, it seems
> that the X server moves to tty8 and even tty9 (if tty8 crashes).
>
> Can anyone verify (and explain) this? *Seems pretty strange to me....

I don't know about X crashes, but what I've seen is that the "switch
to user" feature can activate tty8. On my scratch system, I have my
primary login that comes up on tty7, and then if I want to run a
Windows program, I switch to my alternate login (this lets me blow
away the entire Wine config or even the whole user if I muck something
up). Once I've logged in as both, I can then switch to the primary
login with C-A-F7, or the "lose" login (yeah, that's what my Wine
login is) with C-A-F8.

Do you have a secondary account with which you could play with this?
It might put the alternate onto tty7 if the primary was on tty8, or it
might just abandon tty7 as unavailable.

Chris Angelico

Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having just crashed my X server a few times (Libre/Open Office issues
> - not here), I noticed something interesting.
>
> I thought the X server (gdm, etc.) ran on tty7, with ttys 1-6 being
> the alternate, text-only virtual consoles. *After crashing, it seems
> that the X server moves to tty8 and even tty9 (if tty8 crashes).
>
> Can anyone verify (and explain) this? *Seems pretty strange to me....

It's because console-kit-daemon keeps the vt "open".

If you kill console-kit-daemon you can then run "deallocvt 7" and re-use vt7.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's because console-kit-daemon keeps the vt "open".
>
> If you kill console-kit-daemon you can then run "deallocvt 7" and re-use vt7.

Once I kill console-kit-daemon, tty7 is blank and does not appear to
be available for alternate logins. How do I change that (other than
logging out or rebooting)?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's because console-kit-daemon keeps the vt "open".
>>
>> If you kill console-kit-daemon you can then run "deallocvt 7" and re-use vt7.
>>

> Once I kill console-kit-daemon, tty7 is blank and does not appear to
> be available for alternate logins. *How do I change that (other than
> logging out or rebooting)?

Other oddities that occurred, and I'm only guessing that these are
related, are that my flash drive could not be mounted, and when I went
to reboot, the shutdown option had disappeared from my main menu
applet. Rebooting solved both of these, but WTF? (I'm back on tty7,
too.)

Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's because console-kit-daemon keeps the vt "open".
>>
>> If you kill console-kit-daemon you can then run "deallocvt 7" and re-use vt7.
>
> Once I kill console-kit-daemon, tty7 is blank and does not appear to
> be available for alternate logins. *How do I change that (other than
> logging out or rebooting)?

Should've said kill -HUP. SORRY!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's because console-kit-daemon keeps the vt "open".
>>>
>>> If you kill console-kit-daemon you can then run "deallocvt 7" and re-use vt7.
>>
>> Once I kill console-kit-daemon, tty7 is blank and does not appear to
>> be available for alternate logins. *How do I change that (other than
>> logging out or rebooting)?
>
> Should've said kill -HUP. SORRY!

I presume that would allow it to restart itself without deleterious effect?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Once I kill console-kit-daemon, tty7 is blank and does not appear to
>>> be available for alternate logins. *How do I change that (other than
>>> logging out or rebooting)?
>>
>> Should've said kill -HUP. SORRY!
>>
> I presume that would allow it to restart itself without deleterious effect?

I've just tested it on Maverick (I'd done only so once previously on
Squeeze a few months ago). It works well.