Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Darryl Tidd

Default Volume Control

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and having a problem with my volume control.
When I click on it and move the slider, nothing happens. I must double
click and get the interface with the Master, PCM, and Front sliders.
Both PCM and Front, when moved, change the volume, however, the master
does nothing to the volume. I am using gnome-alsamixer 0.9.7.

Thanks
Dtidd

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM
James Takac

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 08:32:26 Darryl Tidd wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and having a problem with my volume control.
> When I click on it and move the slider, nothing happens. I must double
> click and get the interface with the Master, PCM, and Front sliders.
> Both PCM and Front, when moved, change the volume, however, the master
> does nothing to the volume. I am using gnome-alsamixer 0.9.7.
> Thanks
> Dtidd

Hi Darryl

That's normal to my understanding. The master volume wont be louder the the
highest the others are set to. Think of it like a tap, it wont let the water
out faster than it's supplied. If you want to be able to vary your volume the
full way from the spkr icon then up the other volumes to the max (not the mic
and such) and then the master volume will work as you expect

James

Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Darryl Tidd

James Takac wrote:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and having a problem with my volume control.
When I click on it and move the slider, nothing happens. I must double
click and get the interface with the Master, PCM, and Front sliders.
Both PCM and Front, when moved, change the volume, however, the master
does nothing to the volume. I am using gnome-alsamixer 0.9.7.
Thanks
Dtidd

Hi Darryl

That's normal to my understanding. The master volume wont be louder the the
highest the others are set to. Think of it like a tap, it wont let the water
out faster than it's supplied. If you want to be able to vary your volume the
full way from the spkr icon then up the other volumes to the max (not the mic
and such) and then the master volume will work as you expect

James

Hi James,

Even when the others are at max the master has no effect.* If you run
the master all the way down, the speakers should be muted.* When the
master is pulled down, the speaker icon shows that is is muted but
sound is still playing.

Dtidd

Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 PM
"Brian A"

If you would like me to post this in launchpad instead, just let me know, but, as I said in a previous email, I am running ubuntu hardy full time now, and am posting any bugs that I find here.* With todays updates to ubuntu, and I am assuming with xubuntu, volume control was knocked out.....by using the volume control slider on the gnome toolbar, I can change the volume, but using the media buttons on my keyboard, although it shows the onscreen symbol that says the volume is being adjusted/muted, it does not change the volume at all.

-Brian
--
"It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
-Albert Einstein

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Microsoft gives you Gates and windows - Linux gives you the whole house.
Vista is the last nail in the linux coffin. Interestingly, linux is not in the coffin, but rather wondering what is sealing itself into a wooden box 6 feet underground.