-   -   permissions of a partition on USB stick not changing as root even (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/473054-permissions-partition-usb-stick-not-changing-root-even.html)

Tapas Mishra 01-06-2011 05:53 AM

permissions of a partition on USB stick not changing as root even

I am having a USB disk.
I want to change the permissions of folder on it from 700 to 755 (and
all subdirectories in it)
ls -l /media shows

total 26
drwxrwxrwx 2 tapas tapas 2048 2010-02-12 04:12 HPLAUNCHER
drwx------ 7 tapas tapas 4096 1970-01-01 05:30 vol1
drwx------ 1 tapas tapas 20480 2011-01-03 17:43 vol2

how ever even if I am trying following command as root

chmod -R 755 /media/vol2

permissions do not change.

This is the command I try always and after the cursor blinks for about
5-6 minutes I get the shell back.
What could be the problem?

Some outputs I am posting
lsusb shows
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:4507 Hewlett-Packard

fdisk -l shows
Disk /dev/sdb: 499.4 GB, 499405291520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60715 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x579a78f1

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 2 59918 481283302+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb2 59919 60715 6401902+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 2 59918 481283271 7 HPFS/NTFS

--

Output from /var/log/syslog is

Jan 6 10:24:12 tapas ntfs-3g[2278]: Version 2010.3.6 external FUSE 28
Jan 6 10:24:12 tapas ntfs-3g[2278]: Mounted /dev/sdb5 (Read-Write,
label "vol2", NTFS 3.1)
Jan 6 10:24:12 tapas ntfs-3g[2278]: Cmdline options:
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,d mask=0077
Jan 6 10:24:12 tapas ntfs-3g[2278]: Mount options:
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,silent,allow_other, nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/sdb5,blkdev,blksize=4096,default_permissions
Jan 6 10:24:12 tapas ntfs-3g[2278]: Global ownership and permissions
enforced, configuration type 1

Nils Kassube 01-06-2011 06:20 AM

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am having a USB disk.
> I want to change the permissions of folder on it from 700 to 755
> (and all subdirectories in it)

The FAT32 file system doesn't know Linux (Unix) permissions. You could
only change the permissions with the mount option "umask=022" (I think
this would be the right one, but I didn't try it myself) when mounting
the partition. Or maybe you want the dmask mount option? See "man 8
mount" for details. Anyway, it is a setting available only for the
entire partition, not individual directory trees and on the next machine
the permissions are gone. If you really need Linux permissions, use a
Linux file system like ext2.

Nils

Tapas Mishra 01-06-2011 06:26 AM

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> I am having a USB disk.
>> I want to change the permissions of *folder on it from 700 to 755
>> (and all subdirectories in it)
>
> The FAT32 file system doesn't know Linux (Unix) permissions. You could
> only change the permissions with the mount option "umask=022" (I think
> this would be the right one, but I didn't try it myself) when mounting
> the partition. Or maybe you want the dmask mount option?
Ok interesting information.
>See "man 8
> mount" for details. Anyway, it is a setting available only for the
> entire partition,
Yes I want for entire partition.
> not individual directory trees and on the next machine
> the permissions are gone. If you really need Linux permissions, use a
> Linux file system like ext2.
That is exactly the problem this can not happen so I asked here a
solution.Some thing that I can do.

MR ZenWiz 01-06-2011 06:25 PM

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>> I am having a USB disk.
>>> I want to change the permissions of *folder on it from 700 to 755
>>> (and all subdirectories in it)
>>
>> The FAT32 file system doesn't know Linux (Unix) permissions. You could
>> only change the permissions with the mount option "umask=022" (I think
>> this would be the right one, but I didn't try it myself) when mounting
>> the partition. Or maybe you want the dmask mount option?
> Ok interesting information.
>>See "man 8
>> mount" for details. Anyway, it is a setting available only for the
>> entire partition,
> Yes I want for entire partition.
>> not individual directory trees and on the next machine
>> the permissions are gone. If you really need Linux permissions, use a
>> Linux file system like ext2.
> That is exactly the problem this can not happen so I asked here a
> solution.Some thing that I can do.

I've never seen anything that would let you do what you want. The FAT
file systems are incompatible with UNIX-style file permissions. The
only allowances for this have to do with how the USB drive is mounted.
If it happens automatically, the way it's supposed to, the owner
shows up as me and the group shows as my group. If I have to mount it
"manually" via mount (as root), it shows up as owned by root:root.
Either way, the permissions are 700 for the directories, 644 for files
(unless you remount it with exec permission added, in which case the
file permissions are 755).

The only work around I know of for this is as Nils suggested - use a
Linux format file system on the drive. If you can't use that, then
you're kind of stuck.