Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Carlos S

Default ip address / network configuration

Hi

I have a Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition installed with DHCP for
IP/network configuration. How do I assign a static IP addresses to a
network interfaces? Also, How can one configure multi-homed network in
Ubuntu?

A quick google search led me to following examples, where replacement
of existing DHCP line is told.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/change-ubuntu-system-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/change-ubuntu-server-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address/

Interestingly I don't have any such DHCP config line in my system's
'/etc/network/interfaces'. Following is what I have:
{{
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
}}}

So where is my existing IP address config?

Also, if I edit network config in GUI then it is not written in
interfaces file, although the config seems to be applied. Any
elaboration on this network config would be really helpful.

I have done this on CentOS and typically it is done in
/etc/syconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (and
/etc/syconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1 for multi-homed
networking). I will really appreciate if someone could explain this or
point me to a good documentation link related to Ubuntu.

-
cs.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Carlos S <neubyr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition installed with DHCP for
> IP/network configuration. How do I assign a static IP addresses to a
> network interfaces?

Go to System->Preferences->Network Connections, select the interface
you want to set and click Edit, then look in the IPv4 (and IPv6) tabs
to change the settings. I'd be sure to record the originals in case
the new ones don't work as you want or think they should.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Carlos S <neubyr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition installed with DHCP for
> IP/network configuration. How do I assign a static IP addresses to a
> network interfaces? Also, How can one configure multi-homed network in
> Ubuntu?
>
> A quick google search led me to following examples, where replacement
> of existing DHCP line is told.
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/change-ubuntu-system-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address.html
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/change-ubuntu-server-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address/
>
> Interestingly I don't have any such DHCP config line in my system's
> '/etc/network/interfaces'. Following is what I have:
> {{
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> }}}
>
> So where is my existing IP address config?
>
> Also, if I edit network config in GUI then it is not written in
> interfaces file, although the config seems to be applied. Any
> elaboration on this network config would be really helpful.
>
> I have done this on CentOS and typically it is done in
> /etc/syconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

When you edit the network configuration in the GUI, you're editing
Network Manager's configuration and that configuration isn't held in
the classical Debian equivalent of
"/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0",
"/etc/network/interfaces". Unless you change a value
"/etc/NetworkManager/nm-settings", NM'll not bring your NICs up if
"/etc/network/interfaces" has more in it in it than what you have
posted above.

In Ubuntu, if you want to use "/etc/network/interfaces", you can't
"chkconfig NetworkManager off" and "chkconfig network on" as in
RHEL/CentOS/Fedora; you have to uninstall NM. Once you've done that,
you can follow the guides above.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Carlos S

Thanks ZenWiz and Tom..

So I am thinking uninstalling network manager and then editing
/etc/network/interfaces is a good solution. Unless, I figure out how
to do multi-home networking using Network Manager gui.

--
cs.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Colin Law

On 6 January 2011 04:03, Carlos S <neubyr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks ZenWiz and Tom..
>
> So I am thinking uninstalling network manager and then editing
> /etc/network/interfaces is a good solution. Unless, I figure out how
> to do multi-home networking using Network Manager gui.

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
Insert your reply in appropriate places in previous post. Thanks.

There should be no need to uninstall NM. Use the Network Manager gui.
If you do not like that or have problems with it then install wicd
which many find an improvement.

Colin