Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Doug

Default Zorin icons

Just tried out Zorin-4-os, rather briefly. The Zorin people tell us
to query Ubuntu lists for help, since Zorin was made from Ubuntu.
Anyway, there does not seem to be any way to put icons on the
desktop. Three come with it--Computer, Trash, and I forget the
other, but there is no "right click on menu item to add to desktop"
like there is in many other Linuxes. Is it possible to add icons to
the desktop, and if so, how? (I was running the live version, if
that matters.)

--doug

Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> Just tried out Zorin-4-os, rather briefly. *The Zorin people tell us
> to query Ubuntu lists for help, since Zorin was made from Ubuntu.
> Anyway, there does not seem to be any way to put icons on the
> desktop. *Three come with it--Computer, Trash, and I forget the
> other, *but there is no "right click on menu item to add to desktop"
> like there is in many other Linuxes. *Is it possible to add icons to
> the desktop, and if so, how? *(I was running the live version, if
> that matters.)

If you have an icon, you should be able to add it to the Desktop
directory in your home directory, or move it there with nautilus. Of
course, just the icon isn't enough - you have to put the actual
executable or a link to it in the directory, but that should work.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Yorvyk

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:12:11 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> Just tried out Zorin-4-os, rather briefly. The Zorin people tell us
> to query Ubuntu lists for help, since Zorin was made from Ubuntu.
Really. According to the Zorin site, http://zorin-os.webs.com/apps/forums/

Here are some ways you can get help and support for Zorin OS:
1. Post your problem on the Help and Support forum on this site, the Zorin OS community wil be happy to help you . When you are posting your problem remember to provide as many details as possible. You also have to be a site member. You can become one here.
2. Contact the Zorin OS Team directly. All the contact information is available on the Contact us page on this site.
3. Comment on the latest news post. If you are not a site member and you want community help this option is for you.
4. Comment on our Twitter, Facebook or Bebo. The links are available on the Links page on this site.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:43:25 +0000
Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:12:11 -0500
> Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

[Zorin-4-os]

One question about Zorin OS:
Where's the source?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Doug

On 01/06/2011 09:43 AM, Yorvyk wrote:

[...]

I may have been reading an older Zorin information sheet. Thanx for
the up-to-date dope. I have applied to register. --doug

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Doug

http://zorin-os.webs.com/download.htm

Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Colin Law

On 6 January 2011 20:53, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 10:23 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:43:25 +0000
>> Yorvyk<yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> *wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:12:11 -0500
>>> Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> *wrote:
>>>
>> [Zorin-4-os]
>>
>> One question about Zorin OS:
>> Where's the source?
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>
> http://zorin-os.webs.com/download.htm

That appears to be the binaries, not the source code.

Colin

Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 15:53:06 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 01/06/2011 10:23 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > [Zorin-4-os]
> >
> > One question about Zorin OS:
> > Where's the source?
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard

> http://zorin-os.webs.com/download.htm

You misunderstand. I found the .iso files. What I'd like is a pointer
to the source files which is the least required by the license under
which most of the software in Zorin OS is released. Here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
...and:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

See also:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html
for our own responsibilities as users of free/open/libre software.

Hmm, maybe I need to DL a copy to peruse as to what is being
violated, where, by whom and who might be the interested parties.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.
Linus Torvalds