Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Bill Wright

Default .tar.gz files

I am running Kubuntu 10.10
How do I install uncompressed .tar.gz file on my machine?
It is not in the repository.

--
Linux Kubuntu V10.10

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 05:13:38PM -0500, Bill Wright wrote:
> I am running Kubuntu 10.10
> How do I install uncompressed .tar.gz file on my machine?
> It is not in the repository.

The *usual* sequence for handling this is as follows:-

tar -xvzf abcde.tar.gz
cd abcdexx.yy.zz # change directory to where the file unpacked
./configure --help
# look at the help to see what configuration options you want to set
./configure <with the options you want/need>
# install any missing libraries etc. that configure reports
# repeat as necessary
make # (when configure has returned no errors)
# become root (or use sudo)
make install

However it does depend considerably on what's inside the .tar.gz file.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> I am running Kubuntu 10.10
> How do I install uncompressed .tar.gz file *on my machine?
> It is not in the repository.

If you follow the first to steps in the post Chris made:

> tar -xvzf abcde.tar.gz
> cd abcdexx.yy.zz # change directory to where the file unpacked

Do an "ls" command to see what is in the directory.

Most projects include a README or INSTALL file in their packages. Open
that file (if there is one), and look for the "Installing" heading.
Following the directions there is the best way to go.

I guess the best thing Linux taught me is to actually READ the README
file and I would suggest anyone else try that too

Regards
Ian

Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
:

> I guess the best thing Linux taught me is to actually READ the README
> file and I would suggest anyone else try that too

+1

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 06:13:38 +0800, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:

I am running Kubuntu 10.10
How do I install uncompressed .tar.gz file on my machine?
It is not in the repository.

tar -zxvf xxxxx.tar.gz

but best to test first

tar -zvtf xxxxx.tar.gz
then
tar -zxvf xxxxx.tar.gz

Regards - Goh Lip
--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Bill Wright

On 01/06/2011 02:19 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Ian Coetzee<ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
:

I guess the best thing Linux taught me is to actually READ the README
file and I would suggest anyone else try that too
Thanks for the help, If I could have found the answer I would not have
indulged this list.

--
Linux Kubuntu V10.10

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Bill Wright <pegasus@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 02:19 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Ian Coetzee<ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net>
>> *wrote:
>> :
>>>
>>> I guess the best thing Linux taught me is to actually READ the README
>>> file and I would suggest anyone else try that too
>
> Thanks for the help, If I could have found the answer I would not have
> indulged this list.

To be fair, not all README or INSTALL files are written well enough
for someone who's never used one before.

For future reference, in general the ./configure, make, make install
pattern is fairly consistent across most UNIX/Linux platforms.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Bill Wright

wrote:
:

I guess the best thing Linux taught me is to actually READ the README
file and I would suggest anyone else try that too

Thanks for the help, If I could have found the answer I would not have
indulged this list.

To be fair, not all README or INSTALL files are written well enough
for someone who's never used one before.

For future reference, in general the ./configure, make, make install
pattern is fairly consistent across most UNIX/Linux platforms.

Thank you I appreciate your reply

--
Linux Kubuntu V10.10