-   -   Problem to make my camera to work (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/47284-problem-make-my-camera-work.html)

Peter Smerdon 02-04-2008 09:06 PM

Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> writes:

> Carlos Roballo wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a Toshiba U305-S7446 laptop. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 with all
>> updates two months ago. All worked well but the webcam. It has a Chicony
>> USB2.0 camera built-in. I searched at that time some forums and found no
>> solution. Today I checked again and no updates.
>> I really like Ubuntu and I cannot believe I will have to go back to
>> Windows (urghhhhh !!) because I cannot use my webcam.
>
> I can't believe it either - who really needs a webcam? :-)

Actually lots of people, when working out of town it's a nice thing to
be able to see loved ones as you chat.

> Please don't blame Ubuntu because you made the mistake of buying a computer
> with unsupported hardware. Do your research before you buy!
>
> That said, you haven't given us enough information to help you. Calling it
> a "Chicony USB2.0" camera tells us nothing. What does lsusb show?
> --
> derek

My HP 9000 series laptop also has this cam but I cannot get it to work:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f2:b023 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

I have tried loading the uvcvideo, compat_ioctl32 videodev modules which
apparently are the ones I need but camorama still says could not connect
to /dev/vide0 .

I then installed `webcam', when calling this app from the command line,
the light on the webcam actually flashes blue so I am assuming it can
communicate with the device.

[peter@thruxton:~/tmp/webcam]% webcam
reading config file: /home/peter/.webcamrc
video4linux webcam v1.5 - (c) 1998-2002 Gerd Knorr
grabber config:
size 640x480 [16 bit YUV 4:2:2 (packed, YUYV)]
input (null), norm (null), jpeg quality 80
rotate=0, top=0, left=0, bottom=480, right=640
write config [ftp]:
local transfer /home/peter/tmp/webcam/uploading.jpeg =>
/home/peter/tmp/webcam/snap.jpg
ioctl: VIDIOC_DQBUF(index=0;type=VIDEO_CAPTURE;bytesused= 0;flags=0x0
[];field=ANY;;timecode.type=0;timecode.flags=0;timec ode.frames=0;timecode.seconds=0;timecode.minutes=0 ;timecode.hours=0;timecode.userbits="";sequence=0; memory=unknown):
Invalid argument
capturing image failed
zsh: exit 1 webcam

I am not sure what is wrong here, to be honest I think it might be
something in my .webcamrc, I tired another program called `cheese' but
when I run this it washes out my entire desktop with white such that I
cannot read any text in the gui and have to log out of X.

Anyway, if someone knows of some other programs or tests I or the OP
might try, I would appreciate the help.

--

Peter.

Derek Broughton 02-05-2008 01:07 AM

Peter Smerdon wrote:

> Anyway, if someone knows of some other programs or tests I or the OP
> might try, I would appreciate the help.

Have you tried ekiga (with the v4L2 plugins)? It works with uvcvideo quite
well. I don't know anything about camorama, but if ekiga works, then you'd
at least know it's not the webcam.
--
derek