Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Mike McMullin

Default Fax as printer in cups

Is it possible to configure a fax modem as a printer in CUPS, shunt jobs to
it and have it launch the appropriate fax user interface?

Failing that, where's the docs on setting up a fax/server in 10.04 desktop?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Tommy Trussell

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> *Is it possible to configure a fax modem as a printer in CUPS, shunt jobs to
> it and have it launch the appropriate fax user interface?
>
> *Failing that, where's the docs on setting up a fax/server in 10.04 desktop?

On this netbook running Ubuntu 10.10, I went to the System --> Help
and Support menu and searched for "fax." The first item indicated the
package is called efax-gtk, which should do what you want, as long as
you have a supported fax modem. It may take some work to get the setup
working as you expect, though.

A few weeks ago I needed to receive a fax, so I created a new phone
line with my VOIP provider and connected an older Macintosh laptop. I
was surprised it did exactly what I needed, including forwarding the
received documents via email. The old Mac is new enough to be using
CUPS behind the scenes, and of course its own internal modem was
completely supported.

YMMV :-)

Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
James Freer

On 3 January 2011 16:03, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>
>> *Is it possible to configure a fax modem as a printer in CUPS, shunt jobs to
>> it and have it launch the appropriate fax user interface?
>>
>> *Failing that, where's the docs on setting up a fax/server in 10.04 desktop?
>
> On this netbook running *Ubuntu 10.10, I went to the System --> Help
> and Support menu and searched for "fax." The first item indicated the
> package is called efax-gtk, which should do what you want, as long as
> you have a supported fax modem. It may take some work to get the setup
> working as you expect, though.
>
> A few weeks ago I needed to receive a fax, so I created a new phone
> line with my VOIP provider and connected an older Macintosh laptop. I
> was surprised it did exactly what I needed, including forwarding the
> received documents via email. The old Mac is new enough to be using
> CUPS behind the scenes, and of course its own internal modem was
> completely supported.
>
> YMMV :-)

I've used efax-gtk for several years now and not had any problems -
although you do have to convert to pdf first. However, i do find it
best to use efax for receiving (you can use any one of a number of
such services - free!).

I did try and configure a winmodem which was recognised in linux but
quite frankly it's not worth the time. Much better to just buy a
serial hardware modem which i found worked immediately and cost little
more than 5 - new on ebay (i bought two to be on the safe side!).

I find fax very useful and use it a lot despite some folk claiming
it's old technology. Fax is secure and email is not - and you know
it's always received. Most of the time folk email me back so i don't
receive many.

james

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Mike McMullin

On January 3, 2011 05:19:40 pm James Freer wrote:
> On 3 January 2011 16:03, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> >> Is it possible to configure a fax modem as a printer in CUPS, shunt
> >> jobs to it and have it launch the appropriate fax user interface?
> >>
> >> Failing that, where's the docs on setting up a fax/server in 10.04
> >> desktop?
> >
> > On this netbook running Ubuntu 10.10, I went to the System --> Help
> > and Support menu and searched for "fax." The first item indicated the
> > package is called efax-gtk, which should do what you want, as long as
> > you have a supported fax modem. It may take some work to get the setup
> > working as you expect, though.
> >
> > A few weeks ago I needed to receive a fax, so I created a new phone
> > line with my VOIP provider and connected an older Macintosh laptop. I
> > was surprised it did exactly what I needed, including forwarding the
> > received documents via email. The old Mac is new enough to be using
> > CUPS behind the scenes, and of course its own internal modem was
> > completely supported.
> >
> > YMMV :-)
> >
> > --
>
> I've used efax-gtk for several years now and not had any problems -
> although you do have to convert to pdf first. However, i do find it
> best to use efax for receiving (you can use any one of a number of
> such services - free!).
>
> I did try and configure a winmodem which was recognised in linux but
> quite frankly it's not worth the time. Much better to just buy a
> serial hardware modem which i found worked immediately and cost little
> more than 5 - new on ebay (i bought two to be on the safe side!).
>
> I find fax very useful and use it a lot despite some folk claiming
> it's old technology. Fax is secure and email is not - and you know
> it's always received. Most of the time folk email me back so i don't
> receive many.

I have an older model USR Fax/Voice/Data modem, which I had set up under
OpenSuSE, I know this works with Linux, but setting up hylafax was a bear, and
I was hoping that despite it being "ancient" technology some advances might
have been made. Googling for 10.04 and fax setup yields very little results
of any worth.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Greg Bair

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 01:50:36 -0500
Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:

<snip>

> I have an older model USR Fax/Voice/Data modem, which I had set up
> under OpenSuSE, I know this works with Linux, but setting up hylafax
> was a bear, and I was hoping that despite it being "ancient"
> technology some advances might have been made. Googling for 10.04
> and fax setup yields very little results of any worth.

The other day, I needed to fax an NDA for a new job, and after spending
4 hours trying to get my USR f/v/d modem set up properly, I just said
screw it and paid the $1.50 at Kinko's. Faxing isn't dead, but the
personal uses for it for most people are few and far between.

--
Greg Bair
PHP Developer

Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Greg Bair <gregbair.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 01:50:36 -0500
> Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> <snip>
>> * I have an older model USR Fax/Voice/Data modem, which I had set up
>> under OpenSuSE, I know this works with Linux, but setting up hylafax
>> was a bear, and I was hoping that despite it being "ancient"
>> technology some advances might have been made. *Googling for 10.04
>> and fax setup yields very little results of any worth.
>
> The other day, I needed to fax an NDA for a new job, and after spending
> 4 hours trying to get my USR f/v/d modem set up properly, I just said
> screw it and paid the $1.50 at Kinko's. *Faxing isn't dead, but the
> personal uses for it for most people are few and far between.

I used to have a fax/modem connected to my desktop under CentOS (back
in July) and it only worked occasionally - about 50% of the time the
connection would not get established properly and I wound up having to
use my all-in-one fax-printer anyway. I had to move early in August
and never bothered to reconnect the bleeping thing. Haven't missed it
yet....

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Doug

On 01/04/2011 09:32 AM, Greg Bair wrote:

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 01:50:36 -0500
Mike McMullin<mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:

<snip>

/another snip/

The other day, I needed to fax an NDA for a new job, and after spending
4 hours trying to get my USR f/v/d modem set up properly, I just said
screw it and paid the $1.50 at Kinko's. Faxing isn't dead, but the
personal uses for it for most people are few and far between.

Faxing is far from dead: doctors, lawyers and pharmacists seem to live
by fax. I can understand why lawyers need it, but I await the day when
all the medical stuff is computerized, and we can stop filling out a
humongous form every time we see a new health provider!

(Years ago I had a program that would send a fax from a computer--
this was in the days of dial-up modems. I think I used it _once_!)

--doug

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> Faxing is far from dead: doctors, lawyers and pharmacists seem to live
> by fax. *I can understand why lawyers need it, but I await the day when
> all the medical stuff is computerized, and we can stop filling out a
> humongous form every time we see a new health provider!

While I appreciate the ease of use of electronic forms and such, I
dread the ghastly implications to any sort of privacy for which
electronic records possess the potential to destroy. Think something
like your medical history published on wikileaks....

Interestingly, most of my doctors prefer paper records.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
James Freer

On 4 January 2011 06:50, Mike McMullin <mmcmullin@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> On January 3, 2011 05:19:40 pm James Freer wrote:

>> > On this netbook running *Ubuntu 10.10, I went to the System --> Help
>> > and Support menu and searched for "fax." The first item indicated the
>> > package is called efax-gtk, which should do what you want, as long as
>> > you have a supported fax modem. It may take some work to get the setup
>> > working as you expect, though.
>> >
>> > A few weeks ago I needed to receive a fax, so I created a new phone
>> > line with my VOIP provider and connected an older Macintosh laptop. I
>> > was surprised it did exactly what I needed, including forwarding the
>> > received documents via email. The old Mac is new enough to be using
>> > CUPS behind the scenes, and of course its own internal modem was
>> > completely supported.
>> >
>> > YMMV :-)
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> I've used efax-gtk for several years now and not had any problems -
>> although you do have to convert to pdf first. However, i do find it
>> best to use efax for receiving (you can use any one of a number of
>> such services - free!).
>>
>> I did try and configure a winmodem which was recognised in linux but
>> quite frankly it's not worth the time. Much better to just buy a
>> serial hardware modem which i found worked immediately and cost little
>> more than 5 - new on ebay (i bought two to be on the safe side!).
>>
>> I find fax very useful and use it a lot despite some folk claiming
>> it's old technology. Fax is secure and email is not - and you know
>> it's always received. Most of the time folk email me back so i don't
>> receive many.
>
> *I have an older model USR Fax/Voice/Data modem, which I had set up under
> OpenSuSE, I know this works with Linux, but setting up hylafax was a bear, and
> I was hoping that despite it being "ancient" technology some advances might
> have been made. *Googling for 10.04 and fax setup yields very little results
> of any worth.

I found hylafax difficult to set up and switched to efax-gtk which i
set up in about 5 mins. [hylafax has better functions iirc but hardly
worth the time to set up]. efax-gtk is just what i want... simply an
electronic fax machine rather than the mechanical machine one buys off
the shelf (which leaves ghastly lines sometimes down the pages or runs
out of paper which isn't cheap!). Only problem i had was using the
linux acrobat reader... somehow it didn't like the fonts (which were
only Times or Arial that i used - far better to stay with evince.

One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of all
settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can post these
if that would help with the efax-gtk route.

james

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
James Freer

On 4 January 2011 20:32, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> Faxing is far from dead: doctors, lawyers and pharmacists seem to live
>> by fax. *I can understand why lawyers need it, but I await the day when
>> all the medical stuff is computerized, and we can stop filling out a
>> humongous form every time we see a new health provider!
>>
> While I appreciate the ease of use of electronic forms and such, I
> dread the ghastly implications to any sort of privacy for which
> electronic records possess the potential to destroy. *Think something
> like your medical history published on wikileaks....
>
> Interestingly, most of my doctors prefer paper records.

I find my surgery won't use email but one can book appointments
online. When i fax i find the sheet is scanned and entered on the
records for easy reference. I look after my mother with Alzheimer's
and so i wouldn't be without a fax facility.

james