Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default Fax as printer in cups

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM, James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> wrote:
:

> I find my surgery won't use email but one can book appointments
> online. When i fax i find the sheet is scanned and entered on the
> records for easy reference. I look after my mother with Alzheimer's
> and so i wouldn't be without a fax facility.

Chacun a son gout.

(To each his own, for those who don't speak French.)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
rikona

Hello James,

Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 1:07:19 PM, James wrote:

>>> Much better to just buy a serial hardware modem which i found
>>> worked immediately and cost little more than 5 - new on ebay (i
>>> bought two to be on the safe side!).

Was this with Lucid perchance? Lucid supports serial ports OK? Can the
modem/efax-gtk combo recognize incoming faxes and answer only those,
and not regular calls?

JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.

I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.

If you think it would excessively inflame the non-fax-users on the
list, please send it privately. :-)

Thanks,

rikona

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
:

> JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
> JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
> JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.
>
> I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
> to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.

I would strongly urge you to consider a real fax machine, or a
fax-all-in-one printer. They're both fairly mature technologies that
usually adhere to fax-telephone industry standards, including support
for receiving.

This might just be from the poor taste my fax-modem left in my craw,
but there's no substitute for the real thing. My two HP a-i-o-fax
printers were both under $50, and I'm pretty sure the first one broke
because of something stupid I did (the scanner feeder quit working on
me and it's just as cheap or cheaper to get a new one as to fix the
old...).

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 AM
rikona

Hello MR,

Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 5:03:33 PM, MR wrote:

MZ> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
MZ> :
>>
>> JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
>> JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
>> JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.
>>
>> I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
>> to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
>> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.
>>
MZ> I would strongly urge you to consider a real fax machine, or a
MZ> fax-all-in-one printer. They're both fairly mature technologies
MZ> that usually adhere to fax-telephone industry standards, including
MZ> support for receiving.

In theory, I'd agree, but I've been through several, and not impressed
with any one so far.

MZ> This might just be from the poor taste my fax-modem left in my
MZ> craw, but there's no substitute for the real thing. My two HP
MZ> a-i-o-fax printers were both under $50, and I'm pretty sure the
MZ> first one broke because of something stupid I did (the scanner
MZ> feeder quit working on me

Funny you should mention that. I thought if I bought a "better" one it
might last longer. I'm on my second fairly expensive HP all in one, a
7140xi. Both have had very poor feeders. The 7140 currently won't feed
20 lb paper at all. I have to copy what I'm going to fax onto 24 lb
paper, and maybe, just maybe, it will feed successfully. If it has any
small wrinkles from the copier, forget it. Perhaps if I ironed it
first it might work better...

The comp app is not sounding that bad. :-)

MZ> and it's just as cheap or cheaper to get a new one as to fix the
MZ> old...).

True. That really tix me off... I have to get a new $xxx one because
often some 10 cent part has failed - and the old one has to go to
special recycling. Yech! What a waste.

Back a bit I thought I'd try repairing a Sony VCR myself. The smallest
part I could buy was a 'module', of which there were about 3 in the
entire machine. And, each one was a major fraction of the price of a
new VCR. Yech, again...

--

rikona

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
James Freer

On 5 January 2011 00:48, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

>a] Was this with Lucid perchance? Lucid supports serial ports OK? Can the
>b] modem/efax-gtk combo recognize incoming faxes and answer only those,
> and not regular calls?
>
> JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
> JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
> JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.
>
> c] I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
> to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.
>
> If you think it would excessively inflame the non-fax-users on the
> list, please send it privately. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> *rikona

I'm short of time today but will email you privately this evening [UK time].

a] No it was with 8.04. I have been trying to get round to an update
and i didn't like 10.04 and had problems with 10.10. efax-gtk is fine
on each of the distros i've tried it on.

b] I'd have to check. Generally NO. It is only the much more
complicated software [can't think what the windows app is called] that
can distinguish - but then again reliably? That's why i receive on
efax... good way round the problem.

c] i'll send it this evening... meanwhile install efax-gtk on your
machine and hopefully you'll be up an running by the end of today.

alternatively i've an excellent windows faxing app [if you're dual
booting] which you could use on a winmodem if that's all you've got
for now.

james

Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
rikona

Hello James,

Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 2:05:52 AM, James wrote:

JF> On 5 January 2011 00:48, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

>>a] Was this with Lucid perchance? Lucid supports serial ports OK? Can the
>>b] modem/efax-gtk combo recognize incoming faxes and answer only those,
>> and not regular calls?
>>
>> JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
>> JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
>> JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.
>>
>> c] I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
>> to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
>> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.
>>
>> If you think it would excessively inflame the non-fax-users on the
>> list, please send it privately. :-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> *rikona

JF> I'm short of time today but will email you privately this evening
JF> [UK time].

Thanks very much. No great rush... whenever it's convenient...

JF> a] No it was with 8.04. I have been trying to get round to an
JF> update and i didn't like 10.04 and had problems with 10.10.
JF> efax-gtk is fine on each of the distros i've tried it on.

JF> b] I'd have to check. Generally NO. It is only the much more
JF> complicated software [can't think what the windows app is called]
JF> that can distinguish - but then again reliably? That's why i
JF> receive on efax... good way round the problem.

JF> c] i'll send it this evening... meanwhile install efax-gtk on your
JF> machine and hopefully you'll be up an running by the end of today.

Not today. I'll need a modem first. :-)

JF> alternatively i've an excellent windows faxing app [if you're dual
JF> booting] which you could use on a winmodem if that's all you've
JF> got for now.

I have to run Win apps, so have Win boxes too - I'd be very interested
in which app you like. I've been trying to move away from Win as much
as possible, but I have to keep a foot in that swamp. :-)

Thanks for the info!

--

rikona

Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Mike McMullin

On January 5, 2011 08:52:33 am rikona wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 2:05:52 AM, James wrote:
>
> JF> On 5 January 2011 00:48, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

> >>a] Was this with Lucid perchance? Lucid supports serial ports OK? Can the
> >>b] modem/efax-gtk combo recognize incoming faxes and answer only those,
> >>
> >> and not regular calls?

> >> c] I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I
> >> needed to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
> >> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.
> >>
> >> If you think it would excessively inflame the non-fax-users on the
> >> list, please send it privately. :-)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> rikona
>
> JF> I'm short of time today but will email you privately this evening
> JF> [UK time].
>
> Thanks very much. No great rush... whenever it's convenient...
>
> JF> a] No it was with 8.04. I have been trying to get round to an
> JF> update and i didn't like 10.04 and had problems with 10.10.
> JF> efax-gtk is fine on each of the distros i've tried it on.
>
> JF> b] I'd have to check. Generally NO. It is only the much more
> JF> complicated software [can't think what the windows app is called]
> JF> that can distinguish - but then again reliably? That's why i
> JF> receive on efax... good way round the problem.
>
> JF> c] i'll send it this evening... meanwhile install efax-gtk on your
> JF> machine and hopefully you'll be up an running by the end of today.
>
> Not today. I'll need a modem first. :-)
>
> JF> alternatively i've an excellent windows faxing app [if you're dual
> JF> booting] which you could use on a winmodem if that's all you've
> JF> got for now.
>
> I have to run Win apps, so have Win boxes too - I'd be very interested
> in which app you like. I've been trying to move away from Win as much
> as possible, but I have to keep a foot in that swamp. :-)
>
> Thanks for the info!

WinFAX Pro was definitely the way to go in Windows, until Symantec bought it,
and neglected it.