Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
"Mark C. Miller"

Default Ebook Reader for Ubuntu

Like many folks, I received a Nook for Christmas. I really like it.
They have apps for my phone, my son's iPad, etc.

Is there a reader program for Ubuntu? I've been reading about the
differences between Kindle and Nook and it seems neither the twain shall
meet.

Hope you're enjoying the last of the break before work starts again in
earnest.

tia

mcm
--
Mark C. Miller
mmiller@millermc.net

Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Jack Wallen

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 14:14:40 -0500
"Mark C. Miller" <mmiller@millermc.net> wrote:

> Like many folks, I received a Nook for Christmas. I really like it.
> They have apps for my phone, my son's iPad, etc.
>
> Is there a reader program for Ubuntu? I've been reading about the
> differences between Kindle and Nook and it seems neither the twain
> shall meet.
>
> Hope you're enjoying the last of the break before work starts again
> in earnest.

Calibre is an outstanding ebook reader/manager for Linux. I highly
recommend it. I believe it can be found in the Ubuntu Software Center.

And, while you're at it, you can check out my novels I have for sale on
Barnes And Nobel. ;-)

Jack Wallen

Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Richard Atcheson

On Sunday 02 January 2011 13:14:40 Mark C. Miller wrote:
> Is there a reader program for Ubuntu?
Mark:
Yes, there are at least two of 'em. Firefox has an ereader plugin which is
nice, but you cant beat Calibre which is a library manager and viewer! You
can find it here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux.

Using the command line provided there is a snap. I've been using Calibre for
almost a year and it has some real neat features. Before you install it, make
a directory under your user name, I have one called /home/richard/Calibre
Library and one /home/richard/Ebooks. All my downloads go into the Ebooks dir,
and when Calibre adds a book to the library it goes into the Calibre Library.

The nice part is whenever I download an ebook, it goes automatically into the
Ebook dir and magically appears in the Calibre Library. The user guide will
answer most of your questions.

One real nice feature of Calibre is the abiltiy to email your favorite books
to your friends.

If you need, I have a directory filled with book sources.

Enjoy,
Richard

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Jacob Mansfield

On 4 January 2011 00:50, Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you need, I have a directory filled with book sources.
> Enjoy,
> Richard

the directory of book sources would be nice please
Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Richard Atcheson

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 15:16:34 Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> the directory of book sources would be nice please
> Jacob Mansfield
Ok, Jacob, here it is:
http://www.feedbooks.com/
http://www.gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html/
http://www.gutenberg.org
http://manybooks.net/
http://www.smashwords.com
http://ebookstore.sony.com/author/
http://www.mobileread.com/
http://www.ebookcrossroads.com/epublishers.html
http://books.google.com/
http://online-novels.blogspot.com/
http://www.free-online-novels.com/mystery.html
http://historicalnovelsociety.org/
http://www.iblist.com/book60845.htm
http://www.kobobooks.com/
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/
http://www.kobobooks.com/
https://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeLogin.html
http://online-novels.blogspot.com/
http://www.obooko.com/members/loginthanks.php

In no particular order, they'll give you a starting point to feed books to
your Calibre library.

Before you get sucked in to paying for great classics, look at both Gutenberg
sites. Thats where the retailers get their classics, strip out gutenberg as
the source, then sell them. The US Gutenberg site alone has some 30,000+
books available free for the downloading in many different formats.

Richard

Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 1:16:34 pm Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 4 January 2011 00:50, Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you need, I have a directory filled with book sources.
> > Enjoy,
> > Richard
>
> the directory of book sources would be nice please

Jacob, If you are into Science fiction,

http://www.baen.com/library/

Is a pretty good one!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:23:42 -0800
Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

> If you are into Science fiction,
>
> http://www.baen.com/library/

Thanks for that, Pastor! I'm off to DL some reading.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
In fact, I think Linus' cleverest and most consequential hack was not
the construction of the Linux kernel itself, but rather his invention

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Billie Walsh

If you need, I have a directory filled with book sources.
Enjoy,
Richard

the directory of book sources would be nice please

Jacob, If you are into Science fiction,

http://www.baen.com/library/

Is a pretty good one!

Great site Pastor. I've been getting some of the old stuff from the
Gutenberg Project. Already found several I want from this site also.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Eric Morey

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 18:50 -0600, Richard Atcheson wrote:
> On Sunday 02 January 2011 13:14:40 Mark C. Miller wrote:
> > Is there a reader program for Ubuntu?
> Mark:
> Yes, there are at least two of 'em. Firefox has an ereader plugin which is
> nice, but you cant beat Calibre which is a library manager and viewer! You
> can find it here:
>
> http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux.

Thanks for this info. It seems to be licensed under the GPLv3. Though
I'm a bit disappointed that it is not available in a repository, it
seems easy enough to install.

Thanks for the list you provided in an earlier posting[1].

Thanks to Pastor JW for the link he provided too[2].

[1]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/237980.html

[2]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/238107.html

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 21:17, Jack Wallen <jlwallen@monkeypantz.net> wrote:
> Calibre is an outstanding ebook reader/manager for Linux. I highly
> recommend it. I believe it can be found in the Ubuntu Software Center.

I second Calibre. I use it regularly to organise my books on the
computer, and I don't even have an e-ink device (yet).

> And, while you're at it, you can check out my novels I have for sale on
> Barnes And Nobel. ;-)

I can second Jack Wallen too! I haven't read his book, but I follow
his posts regularly on Ghacks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il