Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Ed Jabbour

Default X won't start at boot with NVidia driver

Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver from the
Nvidia site and it installed with no error messages. I ran startx and no
problems. However, at a reboot, X would not start - screen not found. I
edited xorg.conf to load the vesa driver and got X. The NVidia driver will
not run correctly until I delete a number of libnvidia .so files and a few
others from the /usr/lib directory. It then installs and startx works, but
not at reboot. The same process over and over.

Any hints, pointers, etc appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Feb 4, 2008 7:43 PM, Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:

> Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver from the
> Nvidia site

Have you tried installing the nvidia drivers from the Ubuntu repos?

$ aptitude search nvidia
p nvidia-cg-toolkit - NVIDIA Cg Toolkit installer
p nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver
p nvidia-glx-dev - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver dev
p nvidia-glx-legacy - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'legacy' d
p nvidia-glx-legacy-dev - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'legacy' d
p nvidia-glx-new - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driv
p nvidia-glx-new-dev - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'legacy' d
v nvidia-kernel-1.0.7184 -
v nvidia-kernel-1.0.7185 -
v nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774 -
v nvidia-kernel-1.0.9639 -
v nvidia-kernel-100.14.19 -
i A nvidia-kernel-common - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
p nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source
p nvidia-legacy-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary 'legacy' kernel module sourc
p nvidia-new-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary 'new' kernel module source
p nvidia-settings - Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics dr
p nvidia-xconfig - The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Sven Richter

Am Montag 04 Februar 2008 19:43:19 schrieb Ed Jabbour:
> Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver from
> the Nvidia site and it installed with no error messages. I ran startx and
> no problems. However, at a reboot, X would not start - screen not found.
> I edited xorg.conf to load the vesa driver and got X. The NVidia driver
> will not run correctly until I delete a number of libnvidia .so files and a
> few others from the /usr/lib directory. It then installs and startx works,
> but not at reboot. The same process over and over.
>
> Any hints, pointers, etc appreciated.

I had the same problem with the old nvidia binary 1.0x49 iirc.
After booting i had to kill kdm, rmmod nvidia and the modprobe nvidia
again.
Aftwards x could be started.
I assume i messed up some things cause i tried the drivers from
the repos.

Then in installed the new binary driver 169.09 and the problem was fixed.

Greetings
Sven Richter

Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Ed Jabbour

On Monday 04 February 2008 4:40 pm Sven Richter wrote:
> Am Montag 04 Februar 2008 19:43:19 schrieb Ed Jabbour:
> > Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver
> > from the Nvidia site and it installed with no error messages. I ran
> > startx and no problems. However, at a reboot, X would not start - screen
> > not found. I edited xorg.conf to load the vesa driver and got X. The
> > NVidia driver will not run correctly until I delete a number of libnvidia
> > .so files and a few others from the /usr/lib directory. It then installs
> > and startx works, but not at reboot. The same process over and over.
> >
> > Any hints, pointers, etc appreciated.
>
> I had the same problem with the old nvidia binary 1.0x49 iirc.
> After booting i had to kill kdm, rmmod nvidia and the modprobe nvidia
> again.
> Aftwards x could be started.
> I assume i messed up some things cause i tried the drivers from
> the repos.
>
> Then in installed the new binary driver 169.09 and the problem was fixed.

Yes, that's the same run package I used. I tried the nvidia-new-glx and a
bunch of other stuff - that didn't work either. So I ran the 169.09 package,
removed all the nvidia stuff manually, etc. as above. I don't dare shut down
this machine, though. Should I have "nvidia" in /etc/modules? From where
are modules loaded at boot, anyway?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Ed Greshko

Ed Jabbour wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 4:40 pm Sven Richter wrote:
>> Am Montag 04 Februar 2008 19:43:19 schrieb Ed Jabbour:
>>> Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver
>>> from the Nvidia site and it installed with no error messages. I ran
>>> startx and no problems. However, at a reboot, X would not start - screen
>>> not found. I edited xorg.conf to load the vesa driver and got X. The
>>> NVidia driver will not run correctly until I delete a number of libnvidia
>>> .so files and a few others from the /usr/lib directory. It then installs
>>> and startx works, but not at reboot. The same process over and over.
>>>
>>> Any hints, pointers, etc appreciated.
>> I had the same problem with the old nvidia binary 1.0x49 iirc.
>> After booting i had to kill kdm, rmmod nvidia and the modprobe nvidia
>> again.
>> Aftwards x could be started.
>> I assume i messed up some things cause i tried the drivers from
>> the repos.
>>
>> Then in installed the new binary driver 169.09 and the problem was fixed.
>
> Yes, that's the same run package I used. I tried the nvidia-new-glx and a
> bunch of other stuff - that didn't work either. So I ran the 169.09 package,
> removed all the nvidia stuff manually, etc. as above. I don't dare shut down
> this machine, though. Should I have "nvidia" in /etc/modules? From where
> are modules loaded at boot, anyway?

When you have problems such as this the first place to look is
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. It will normally give you a good idea of what when
wrong. Not a great idea to delete files and such till you know the root
cause. But, maybe you looked in the log and just didn't post the errors...

Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Sven Richter

Am Dienstag 05 Februar 2008 01:50:35 schrieb Ed Jabbour:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 4:40 pm Sven Richter wrote:
> > Am Montag 04 Februar 2008 19:43:19 schrieb Ed Jabbour:
> > > Running kubuntu 7.10 on an HP laptop. I downloaded the proper driver
> > > from the Nvidia site and it installed with no error messages. I ran
> > > startx and no problems. However, at a reboot, X would not start -
> > > screen not found. I edited xorg.conf to load the vesa driver and got X.
> > > The NVidia driver will not run correctly until I delete a number of
> > > libnvidia .so files and a few others from the /usr/lib directory. It
> > > then installs and startx works, but not at reboot. The same process
> > > over and over.
> > >
> > > Any hints, pointers, etc appreciated.
> >
> > I had the same problem with the old nvidia binary 1.0x49 iirc.
> > After booting i had to kill kdm, rmmod nvidia and the modprobe nvidia
> > again.
> > Aftwards x could be started.
> > I assume i messed up some things cause i tried the drivers from
> > the repos.
> >
> > Then in installed the new binary driver 169.09 and the problem was fixed.
>
> Yes, that's the same run package I used. I tried the nvidia-new-glx and a
> bunch of other stuff - that didn't work either. So I ran the 169.09
> package, removed all the nvidia stuff manually, etc. as above. I don't
> dare shut down this machine, though. Should I have "nvidia" in
> /etc/modules? From where are modules loaded at boot, anyway?

You could try out what i wrote above.
But i have to admit, it gets boring after a certain time, so
this is no real solution

Like Ed said, its generally not a good idea to delete files
manually.
Try to purge remove all nvidia stuff via aptitude, oder apt-get
and then reinstall the binary driver, this worked for me.

Greetings
Sven Richter

Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Ed Jabbour

On Monday 04 February 2008 8:00 pm Ed Greshko wrote:
> Ed Jabbour wrote:

> When you have problems such as this the first place to look is
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It will normally give you a good idea of what when
> wrong. Not a great idea to delete files and such till you know the root
> cause. But, maybe you looked in the log and just didn't post the errors...

OK. Here's the latest iteration of my X problem. At boot, X does not
load. "startx" generates this in Xorg.0.log:

EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting

The nvidia module is not getting loaded. lsmod|grep nvidia returns nada. I
run the NVidia 169.09 package - no errors - and startx brings up X at proper
resolution, etc. lsmod|grep nvidia now:

nvidia 7822336 26
i2c_core 26112 1 nvidia
agpgart 35016 1 nvidia

nvidia is in /etc/modules and in "Restricted Modules" (KDE) is NVidia checked
and marked "in use".

So it goes.