FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

Hi,

After connect my Ubuntu 10.04 on small monitor I lost my previous 29"
monitor 16/9 config.

How to restore my previous config or set a particular configuration ?

Thanks for your help.

Sam.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

On 30 December 2010 11:16, Sam Przyswa <samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After connect my Ubuntu 10.04 on small monitor I lost my previous 29"
> monitor 16/9 config.
>
> How to restore my previous config or set a particular configuration ?

It is unusual that it has not reverted when you replaced the original monitor.
Go to System > Preferences > Monitors, and see if you can set up what
you want there.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

Le 30/12/2010 12:21, Colin Law a écrit :
> On 30 December 2010 11:16, Sam Przyswa<samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After connect my Ubuntu 10.04 on small monitor I lost my previous 29"
>> monitor 16/9 config.
>>
>> How to restore my previous config or set a particular configuration ?
> It is unusual that it has not reverted when you replaced the original monitor.
> Go to System> Preferences> Monitors, and see if you can set up what
> you want there.

This is the first thing I do but nothing change, I tried to force to
detect the monitor but it only found a 1360x768.

Sam.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

On 30 December 2010 11:27, Sam Przyswa <samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
> Le 30/12/2010 12:21, Colin Law a écrit :
>>
>> On 30 December 2010 11:16, Sam Przyswa<samp@arial-concept.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After connect my Ubuntu 10.04 on small monitor I lost my previous 29"
>>> monitor 16/9 config.
>>>
>>> How to restore my previous config or set a particular configuration ?
>>
>> It is unusual that it has not reverted when you replaced the original
>> monitor.
>> Go to System> *Preferences> *Monitors, and see if you can set up what
>> you want there.
>
> This is the first thing I do but nothing change, I tried to force to detect
> the monitor but it only found a 1360x768.

That is 16/9, but presumably you are looking for a higher resolution.
What were you able to select previously?
It is worth double checking that the monitor lead is pushed fully home.
Does it correctly recognise the monitor type?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Sam Przyswa
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

Le 30/12/2010 12:34, Colin Law a écrit :
> On 30 December 2010 11:27, Sam Przyswa<samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
>> Le 30/12/2010 12:21, Colin Law a écrit :
>>> On 30 December 2010 11:16, Sam Przyswa<samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> After connect my Ubuntu 10.04 on small monitor I lost my previous 29"
>>>> monitor 16/9 config.
>>>>
>>>> How to restore my previous config or set a particular configuration ?
>>> It is unusual that it has not reverted when you replaced the original
>>> monitor.
>>> Go to System> Preferences> Monitors, and see if you can set up what
>>> you want there.
>> This is the first thing I do but nothing change, I tried to force to detect
>> the monitor but it only found a 1360x768.
> That is 16/9, but presumably you are looking for a higher resolution.

Yes !

> What were you able to select previously?

I don't remember exactly

> It is worth double checking that the monitor lead is pushed fully home.
> Does it correctly recognise the monitor type?

No, just an unknown monitor

Is it a way to force a saved configuration or use the Ubuntu install
tool to restart the config with the original monitor ?

If it's no way to change monitor it's for me a big problem because I
planed to use my TV and my 29" monitor...

Thanks for your help.

Sam.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Sam Przyswa <samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
:
>
> No, just an unknown monitor
>
> Is it a way to force a saved configuration or use the Ubuntu install
> tool to restart the config with the original monitor ?
>

Generally when you have a particular monitor connected, that's the one
the system will use to determine the size and configuration. If it
comes up as an unknown monitor type, you can massage it by selecting
generic CRT or LCD settings that match what you think your monitor is
capable of handling. To some extent, this also depends on what driver
you are running, which in turn depends on what video card you have.

However, you're playing with fire here - if you select a configuration
that your video card and monitor combined can NOT handle, you'll get
trash on the screen and have a lovely time getting out of it (usually
have to boot into single user mode and ditch/fix the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file to something that works).

Until you have your 29" monitor back, it's usually wise to go with
what you have connected - what you had before may not ever work with
the current config.

On the positive side, once your 29" physical config is restored, you
should have little or no trouble getting it back and using it.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 10:16 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Sam Przyswa <samp@arial-concept.com> wrote:
> :
> >
> > No, just an unknown monitor
> >
> > Is it a way to force a saved configuration or use the Ubuntu install
> > tool to restart the config with the original monitor ?
> >
>
> Generally when you have a particular monitor connected, that's the one
> the system will use to determine the size and configuration. If it
> comes up as an unknown monitor type, you can massage it by selecting
> generic CRT or LCD settings that match what you think your monitor is
> capable of handling. To some extent, this also depends on what driver
> you are running, which in turn depends on what video card you have.
>
> However, you're playing with fire here - if you select a configuration
> that your video card and monitor combined can NOT handle, you'll get
> trash on the screen and have a lovely time getting out of it (usually
> have to boot into single user mode and ditch/fix the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to something that works).
>
> Until you have your 29" monitor back, it's usually wise to go with
> what you have connected - what you had before may not ever work with
> the current config.
>
> On the positive side, once your 29" physical config is restored, you
> should have little or no trouble getting it back and using it.

If he's using the nVidia drivers (wasn't mentioned which video adapter
he has) then use the nVidia X-server settings util to examine the
monitor, set the resolution and, last but not least, write the new
settings to /etc/xorg.conf file. If you don't write it out, it doesn't
stick. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Display configuration lost !?

On 30 December 2010 18:16, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Until you have your 29" monitor back, it's usually wise to go with
> what you have connected - what you had before may not ever work with
> the current config.

One of us has misunderstood the OP's question. I thought that he had
plugged the 29" monitor back in but could not get the correct
resolution. OP can you clarify please?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org