Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Mobile broadband

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 15:57 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 04:02:32PM +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:

> > <snip>

> > <snip>
> > > I have a much better solution (after having fought with 3-G dongles in
> > > both Windows and Ubuntu for a while), get a 3-G router which the SIM
> > > plugs into directly. No nasty USB dongles involved at all, sensible Web
> > > configuration of the router and then *anything* with a network
> > > connection (RJ45 or WiFi) can connect to the internet via the router in
> > > the usual way.
> >
> > That's not a practical suggestion if the dongle is used to provide net
> > access to a laptop. Lugging a router through airports &c isn't really
> > an option.
> >
> The 3-G router I have is about the size of a cigarette packet and I know
> the other from the same supplier is even smaller. There are some really
> tiny ones now.

My HTC EVO Android Phone can act as a WiFi hot spot for up to 6
computers. That is pretty small, and I carry it with me all the time
with or without my computer. It has 3G and 4G capability (Sprint).

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 12/14/2010 05:59 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> My HTC EVO Android Phone can act as a WiFi hot spot for up to 6
> computers. That is pretty small, and I carry it with me all the time
> with or without my computer. It has 3G and 4G capability (Sprint).

And how do you do that?

Thomas

Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 16:02 +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 13:52 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 03:33:38PM +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 23:08 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> <snip>

> > > Hi Nick,
> > >
> > > I understand your frustration. I struggled for about two weeks to get
> > > my Huwaei E160 modem working with modeswitch, and eventually only won
> > > when I installed wicd. I thought they had sorted it out in newer
> > > versions, but it seems not.
> <snip>
> > I have a much better solution (after having fought with 3-G dongles in
> > both Windows and Ubuntu for a while), get a 3-G router which the SIM
> > plugs into directly. No nasty USB dongles involved at all, sensible Web
> > configuration of the router and then *anything* with a network
> > connection (RJ45 or WiFi) can connect to the internet via the router in
> > the usual way.
>
> That's not a practical suggestion if the dongle is used to provide net
> access to a laptop. Lugging a router through airports &c isn't really
> an option.

Heh, and airport security would insist on a full body cavity search on
someone trailing wires. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM
"Tim"

>And how do you do that?
>
>Thomas

The phone has a mode it goes into(turn on hot spot) and any wireless client
can connect to it(with authentication of course)

It is a nice phone

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Mulkesh Sharma

sir i am just start using linex i*don't*know how it works. but it seems quit*interesting. sir i try to use my mobile broadband to run internet *in fedora, but don't know how .*sir please help me*

Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Jatin K

On 07/03/2012 01:06 PM, Mulkesh Sharma
sir i am just start using linex i*don't*know how it
works. but it seems quit*interesting. sir i try to use my mobile
broadband to run internet *in fedora, but don't know how .*
sir please help me*

click on network icon on top panel right side

select Edit network connections ( last one ) ----> go to Mobile
Broadband tab ---> click on add button, it will automatically
detect your connected usb modem .... then follow the on-screen
instructions

Warm Regards

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri