-   -   Network Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/46355-network-problem.html)

Willis Taylor 02-01-2008 08:16 AM

Network Problem

I have Three
computers on my LAN.* The one I'm on right now is my test bed and it is
running Ubuntu 7.10.* It is connected to my 2Wire Router/modem, mod.
1000SW via NIC thru a Cat5e.* This is unit number 2.* Unit number 3 is
running on WindowsXP connected to the 2Wire via a Home Phone Network
Adapter that plugs to the computer in the USB ports.*

Unit number 1 is a problem.* It is presently on a dual boot system with
Kubuntu and Windows XP.* Unit number one is connected to the 2Wire via
the only Usb port on the 1000SW 2Wire modem/ router.* If I boot the
unit #1in Windows XP all three computers connect to the internet, at
the same time, and they communicate via the LAN.* If I boot unit #1 in
Kubuntu, it will not communicate with any other device.

The lsusb results are;

First check with the 2Wire plugged in;

willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon,
Inc.

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 004: ID
1630:0042********* <this appears to be the 2Wire>

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9
Microtek International, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022
Kensington

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek
PLC

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db
Microsoft Corp.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel
Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

After a hot swap;

willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon,
Inc.

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9
Microtek International, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 007: ID
1630:0042********** <...........................>

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022
Kensington

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek
PLC

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db
Microsoft Corp.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel
Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

With the device unplugged;

willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon,
Inc.

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9
Microtek International, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022
Kensington

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek
PLC

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db
Microsoft Corp.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel
Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

With the 2Wire plugged back in;

willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon,
Inc.

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9
Microtek International, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022
Kensington

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek
PLC

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1630:0042

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db
Microsoft Corp.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel
Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb

I went first to the Ubuntu list and everyone centered on the device not
being suitable for the task I wish to accomplish but ith the system
working perfectly with computer #1 booted in Windows I just fail to see
that as a valid statement.* And when I was asked to post the lsusb
results everyone just fell silent.* Please help, I do not want to
operate Windows any more.

Willis Taylor 02-01-2008 08:50 AM

Network Problem

Karl Larsen wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

[...]

Your problem is with the computers your using or the router your
using. It sounds to me a simple cheap 4 port router from Wal Mart solves
all your problems. I have a D-link DI-604 4 port router that cost I
think $30.00. I can, of course do EVERYTHING between 3 computers.

If you don't like windows delete it. You don't need to tell us that
however.

Karl

LOL!* No, I
suppose not.* If I ever figure out what to do with the four port, have
one, I will get that trash off the system and as soon as I convice my
wife computer #3 will be Linux also.* Thank you.

Willis Taylor 02-02-2008 02:43 AM

Network Problem

Ed Greshko wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

I have Three computers on my LAN. The one I'm on right now is my test
bed and it is running Ubuntu 7.10. It is connected to my 2Wire
Router/modem, mod. 1000SW via NIC thru a Cat5e. This is unit number 2.
Unit number 3 is running on WindowsXP connected to the 2Wire via a Home
Phone Network Adapter that plugs to the computer in the USB ports.

Unit number 1 is a problem. It is presently on a dual boot system with
Kubuntu and Windows XP. Unit number one is connected to the 2Wire via
the only Usb port on the 1000SW 2Wire modem/ router. If I boot the unit
#1in Windows XP all three computers connect to the internet, at the same
time, and they communicate via the LAN. If I boot unit #1 in Kubuntu,
it will not communicate with any other device.

(snip)

I went first to the Ubuntu list and everyone centered on the device not
being suitable for the task I wish to accomplish but ith the system
working perfectly with computer #1 booted in Windows I just fail to see
that as a valid statement. And when I was asked to post the lsusb
results everyone just fell silent. Please help, I do not want to
operate Windows any more.

Actually, after reading this post as well as your previous post, it is clear
that the device you are attempting to use will not function as you desire.
That is why the list fell silent as you refused to accept reality.

I could try to explain it to you...but I fear you will find the explanation
"unpalatable".

Just to give you a "taste"... The use of lsusb will only indicate that the
system is able to connect with the hardware and based on USB standards it
will be able to detect what hardware is present. It has *absolutely* no
bearing on whether the OS will know what to do with the hardware or be able
to talk with it.

I know you don't want to use windows...and probably won't listen to me or
anyone that conflicts with your views. However, the only way for your
Ubuntu Box...or any other Linux box to converse with your 2wire router is
via ethernet *not* USB. The other choice is to attempt to use the Windows
drivers and ndiswrapper...but others have failed in that endeavor.

I can enlighten you on the details, if your wish, or you can continue to
blow me and others off. Your choice.

Ed

(FWIW, I could send you my resume and maybe you'd give my input some credence.)

It's true
that I did not like it but I did listen and I put the other modem in
place but I no sooner set it up to connect with my server than it
failed.

I'm down to learning how to put a router? in between the #1 & #2
computers and then connecting it to the ethernet connection on the
Modem/Router or I'll need to purchase a Wireless card to connect the #1
computer to the 2Wire.* I have looked on ebay and it looks like I can
pick up a PCI Wireless 802.11g for less than 20 dollars and I'll likely
go that way because I just have no idea how to put a four port into the
system and set it up.

So thank you to each and everyone of you.* I apologize for being such a
problem.* I'll try to research this 4 port deal but if I fail to learn
that I'll likeky go with the wireless pci card.

Willis Taylor 02-02-2008 04:31 AM

Network Problem

Ed Greshko wrote:

Willis Taylor wrote:

It's true that I did not like it but I did listen and I put the other
modem in place but I no sooner set it up to connect with my server than
it failed.

I'm down to learning how to put a router? in between the #1 & #2
computers and then connecting it to the ethernet connection on the
Modem/Router or I'll need to purchase a Wireless card to connect the #1
computer to the 2Wire. I have looked on ebay and it looks like I can
pick up a PCI Wireless 802.11g for less than 20 dollars and I'll likely
go that way because I just have no idea how to put a four port into the
system and set it up.

So thank you to each and everyone of you. I apologize for being such a
problem. I'll try to research this 4 port deal but if I fail to learn
that I'll likeky go with the wireless pci card.

It sounds like your 2Wire gateway has a single ethernet connection but that
both of your systems are within reach of the gateway and they both have
ethernet adapters.

If that is the case, there is no need to go wireless.

Simply get a 4-port ethernet switch...sometimes still called a hub...then
connect your 2wire gateway's ethernet connection to a port on the switch and
the other computers to other available ports.

There is no "routing" going on. Basically, the switch makes it such that it
appears to #1 and #2 that they have their own individual connection to the
2wire.

With a switch there is no configuration. Makes life simple.

I read your
reply and went to ebay and bought a linksys 5 port and 2 five foot cat
5e cords for just over $13US.* I'll have them in here is about a week.*
Thank you bery much because last week I purchased a KVM switch and the
computers will be less than 3 foot apart as soon as it comes in later
this week.

Once more, thank you very much!

Karl Larsen 02-03-2008 08:45 PM

Network Problem

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Ed Greshko 02-04-2008 04:27 AM

Network Problem

Ed Greshko 02-05-2008 02:43 AM

Network Problem

John Bowden 02-05-2008 09:18 PM

Network Problem

On Saturday 02 February 2008 03:43:57 Willis Taylor wrote:
> [...]
> > credence.)
>
> It's true that I did not like it but I did listen and I put the other
> modem in place but I no sooner set it up to connect with my server than
> it failed.
>
> I'm down to learning how to put a router? in between the #1 & #2
> computers and then connecting it to the ethernet connection on the
> Modem/Router or I'll need to purchase a Wireless card to connect the #1
> computer to the 2Wire. I have looked on ebay and it looks like I can
> pick up a PCI Wireless 802.11g for less than 20 dollars and I'll likely
> go that way because I just have no idea how to put a four port into the
> system and set it up.
>
> So thank you to each and everyone of you. I apologize for being such a
> problem. I'll try to research this 4 port deal but if I fail to learn
> that I'll likeky go with the wireless pci card.

Hi Willis. The simplest solution would be to get a 4 0r more port switch
(about£10/15 in the UK). connect port 1 uf the switch with the 2wire router
with a network cable (Cat5), then use network cables on each of the PC's to
connect to the other ports on the switch. Tell each PC to ask the 2wire
router for its IP address and set up the 2wire to dish out IP's. You can
still use the 2wires wireless capabilities for laptops or what ever.
This is similar to my set up except I have a 24 port 1u rack mount switch that
connects 1 windoz xp machine and multiple linux machines, (Ubuntu, Mandriva
Debian ans Solaris).
If you choose a auto sensing switch, which most seem to be these days you
won't even have to worry weather the network cable is across over or straight
though as the switch will auto sense and adjust to what ever the cable
requires.
Oh I have set encryption on for my 2wire wireless so my laptop has to provide
the correct key.
John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

Willis Taylor 02-15-2008 04:12 PM

Network problem

I have two units running Ubuntu v. 7.10. I have a Linksys hub connected
to the ADSL router and both units are connected to the hub. Both have
unlimited internet access but neither one sees the other. I have
enabled sharing of the pictures file but when I type in the search
172.xx.x.33 on one or 172.xx.x.36 on the other followed by /pictures it
accesses the native file and not the one on the other unit.

Any help?

Willis Taylor 02-15-2008 05:45 PM

Network problem

NoOp wrote:

On 02/15/2008 09:12 AM, Willis Taylor wrote:

I have two units running Ubuntu v. 7.10. I have a Linksys hub connected
to the ADSL router and both units are connected to the hub. Both have
unlimited internet access but neither one sees the other. I have
enabled sharing of the pictures file but when I type in the search
172.xx.x.33 on one or 172.xx.x.36 on the other followed by /pictures it
accesses the native file and not the one on the other unit.

Any help?

Perhaps you just need to set up network shares for the
folders/directories? You can use NFS, but since I recall that you also
have Windows machines connected I'd recommend that you set up via Samba.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
Search: samba
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComprehensiveSambaGuide

Basically you can initially just try the simple method:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/internet/C/networking-shares.html

This is the formerly Windows
unit.* I set the only share i know on the folders and set them on bot
units to NFS.