Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Ed Miller

Default Removing manually installed software

Hi Ya'll,
Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
dependencies.

Thanks, Ed

Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Johan Sandberg

Ed Miller wrote:
> Hi Ya'll,
> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
> dependencies.
>
> Thanks, Ed

No, unfortunately there is no such thing. That is the main reason that
people invented package managers. ;-)

Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Chris Jones

> No, unfortunately there is no such thing. That is the main reason that
> people invented package managers. ;-)

One thing you can do is the following, if you want to install a package
from source, using the usual "./configure ; make ; make install" route,
there is a neat utility called checkinstall you can use. Basically, in
the last step, where you would normally run 'make install' replace this
with 'checkinstall' - This then, instead of actually installing anything
asks you a few simple questions, and then builds a .deb file for the
package you just built. You can then install that .deb file like any
other, and more importantly removing it like any other package when you
want.

Found out about this recently and its very neat.

Chris

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Nils Kassube

Ed Miller wrote:
> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
> dependencies.

I don't think such a command exists. However, to avoid the problem of
hunting those programs in the future, I can recommend "checkinstall" to
generate .deb packages from your self compiled programs.

Nils

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Peter Smerdon

Ed Miller <miller07@suddenlink.net> writes:

> Hi Ya'll,
> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
> dependencies.
>
> Thanks, Ed

Hello Ed,

if the software package you compiled came with a Makefile, check this
file to see if there is an `uninstall' target. Sometimes you might be
able to remove it with the `make uninstall' command.

--

Peter.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
"Alexis Kotte"

Hi there

On Feb 4, 2008 11:44 PM, Peter Smerdon <psmerdon@magma.ca> wrote:
> Ed Miller <miller07@suddenlink.net> writes:
>
> > Hi Ya'll,
> > Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
> > programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
> > remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
> > dependencies.
> >
> > Thanks, Ed
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> if the software package you compiled came with a Makefile, check this
> file to see if there is an `uninstall' target. Sometimes you might be
> able to remove it with the `make uninstall' command.

You could also have a look at stow
http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html which works very well.
A (rather old) description of its usage can be found here:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-stow/

Cheers,

Alexis Kotte

Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
NoOp

On 02/04/2008 02:44 PM, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Ed Miller <miller07@suddenlink.net> writes:
>
>> Hi Ya'll,
>> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
>> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
>> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
>> dependencies.
>>
>> Thanks, Ed
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> if the software package you compiled came with a Makefile, check this
> file to see if there is an `uninstall' target. Sometimes you might be
> able to remove it with the `make uninstall' command.

And if so, you can typically remove it from Synaptic:
System|Administration|Synaptic Package Manager|Status
(Sections/Status/Origin etc)|Installed (local or obsolete).

Which means, if Synaptic can do it, someone will eventually come along
and tell us how to list & do the same with a command line :-)

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

If your makefile does not contain a target for uninstall then you will have to dig about on your own. A good start will be to naturally divide the default folders in your system with the ones installed : e.g

You have: /usr/local/bin by default

and you might have /usr/local/share/bin

A nice way to check old files is via the find command. to check timestamps you can do a "find . -mtime 0" . This will display files that have modified in the last X days. if you increment 0 by 1 you will increase time stamp modification check by 24 hour increments 1 unit = 24 hours.

Just a clever way to get started if your tidying up by hand.

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
Nicosia , Cyprus
Blog: http://www.blupenguin.com
Mail: mario@blupenguin.com

Skype: smario125

Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Ed Miller

Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Ed Miller <miller07@suddenlink.net> writes:
>

>> Hi Ya'll,
>> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
>> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
>> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
>> dependencies.
>>
>> Thanks, Ed
>>

> Hello Ed,
>
> if the software package you compiled came with a Makefile, check this
> file to see if there is an `uninstall' target. Sometimes you might be
> able to remove it with the `make uninstall' command.

Thanks for all the replies. I have successfully hunted down the files
and removed them. I have also tried out the checkinstall command, that
is great! Wished I had known that one a long time ago.

Again, thanks for all the good information.

Ed