Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera

Default "Parallelization" of installation configuration and file copying

Hi list!

I'm new to this list, so I hope I'm not breaking any netiquette. (I
think not).

I recently had to re-install my GF's computer which runs ubuntu, and
noticed something rather neat, efficient, and, honestly, simple in it's
latest installer.

The installer only asks about target disks before starting file
copying. Information about time-zone, user accounts, etc., is done
while the file are copied ("in parallel").
I find this to be really neat and efficient. Some users may take their
time to read and think about steps that are not required to copy the OS
files to disk. Waiting for the user to complete these step before
copying files is just... not efficient.

I *might* be able to pick up anaconda's source and see if I can pull
this off myself, but not until about 3 weeks from now (I just moved, and
have no internet at home).

What's the general process for this sort of thing? Does it need some
formal approval? Can I just submit a patch and expect it to go though
if everything's ok? Is anyone else interested in this as I am?

Cheers!