Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Francesco Principe

Default Linux Expert The Manual

Hi,
I'm writing (with a lot of co-autors) a wiki on Linux, Unix and Open Source.
I want extend the invite to the members of this mailinglist in order
to contribute.

Please see the following url:
http://www.francescoprincipe.com/linuxexpert/ .

Regards,
F.P.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
devicerandom

On 09/12/10 12:09, Francesco Principe wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing (with a lot of co-autors) a wiki on Linux, Unix and Open Source.
> I want extend the invite to the members of this mailinglist in order
> to contribute.
>
> Please see the following url:
> http://www.francescoprincipe.com/linuxexpert/ .

Why, instead of reinventing the wheel, don't you contribute to the
already existing Linux/Unix wikis on the web? There's no point in
reduplicating and wasting efforts:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Guide
http://linux.wikia.com/wiki/Linux_Wiki

cheers,
m.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Francesco Principe

Simply because we want to obtain a different results from those you
mentioned and because we have behind a very large community of users
already active.
www.linuxexpertproject.com is a very ambitious and very articulate project.

Regards,
F.P.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
ms

On 10/12/10 09:37, Francesco Principe wrote:
> Simply because we want to obtain a different results from those you
> mentioned and because we have behind a very large community of users
> already active.
> www.linuxexpertproject.com is a very ambitious and very articulate project.

Hmm. I've seen it now and I just joined the Linkedin group. Yet I'm
still perplexed. Here are a few points:

- *What* is the different result you want to obtain?

- The CC-BY-NC-ND licence makes it impossible to share stuff with other
wikis to build upon. CC-BY-NC-SA would be a much better option; CC-BY-SA
would also allow to freely exchange with Wikimedia projects, which would
be a definite plus.

- It's especially weird from a copyright point of view to have a "no
derivatives" licence on a wiki: technically every new revision of an
article is a derivative of the preceding revision, and therefore
violates copyright.

- A collaborative wiki on an URL with a personal name doesn't sound
good, since it would look like, to a first glance, that all content in
the wiki is yours, and not of collaborators (imagine if Wikipedia was
hosted at www.jimmywales.com) . Taking time to register another domain
would help.

- On a minor note, English is a quite shaky here and there (it's
"History of Linux", not "Story of Linux", for example -I'm Italian as
well so I understand the error)

cheers,
m.

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org

Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Jonathan Matthews

On 9 December 2010 12:09, Francesco Principe
<francesco.principe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing (with a lot of co-autors) a wiki on Linux, Unix and Open Source.
> I want extend the invite to the members of this mailinglist in order
> to contribute.
>
> Please see the following url:
> http://www.francescoprincipe.com/linuxexpert/ .

Hmmm.

Forgive the criticism, but the last thing the world needs is
inexperienced documentation authors writing in something other than
their primary language about topics they've clearly only just
discovered, for other beginners. Or don't, it doesn't matter.

Just don't continue that god-awful effort.

Jonathan

Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Steve Flynn

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Jonathan Matthews
<contact@jpluscplusm.com> wrote:

> Hmmm.
>
> Forgive the criticism, but the last thing the world needs is
> inexperienced documentation authors writing in something other than
> their primary language about topics they've clearly only just
> discovered, for other beginners. Or don't, it doesn't matter.
>
> Just don't continue that god-awful effort.

Amen. If the OP wants to add to the documentation, add to an existing
source rather than re-hashing the same info in a secondary/tertiary
language.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 14:56 +0000, ms wrote:
> On 10/12/10 09:37, Francesco Principe wrote:
> > Simply because we want to obtain a different results from those you
> > mentioned and because we have behind a very large community of users
> > already active.
> > www.linuxexpertproject.com is a very ambitious and very articulate project.
>
> Hmm. I've seen it now and I just joined the Linkedin group. Yet I'm
> still perplexed. Here are a few points:
>
> - *What* is the different result you want to obtain?
>
> - The CC-BY-NC-ND licence makes it impossible to share stuff with other
> wikis to build upon. CC-BY-NC-SA would be a much better option; CC-BY-SA
> would also allow to freely exchange with Wikimedia projects, which would
> be a definite plus.
>
> - It's especially weird from a copyright point of view to have a "no
> derivatives" license on a wiki: technically every new revision of an
> article is a derivative of the preceding revision, and therefore
> violates copyright.
>
> - A collaborative wiki on an URL with a personal name doesn't sound
> good, since it would look like, to a first glance, that all content in
> the wiki is yours, and not of collaborators (imagine if Wikipedia was
> hosted at www.jimmywales.com) . Taking time to register another domain
> would help.

I wouldn't waste my time on a wiki hosted by a top-poster, either.
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:12:32 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't waste my time on a wiki hosted by a top-poster, either.
> Ric

Ding, ding, ding!

Give that man a cigar.
You are right, sir!

OP: Write in the words you know and don't try to usurp what is
rightfully the provenance of someone else. To do otherwise is
tantamount to... being a bad fellow.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:12:32 -0500
> Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't waste my time on a wiki hosted by a top-poster, either.
> > Ric
>
> Ding, ding, ding!
>
> Give that man a cigar.
> You are right, sir!
>
> OP: Write in the words you know and don't try to usurp what is
> rightfully the provenance of someone else. To do otherwise is
> tantamount to... being a bad fellow.

the world doesn't need more linux documentation. what it needs is
the ongoing effort of people to *** keep existing documentation up to
date ***. there's a mountain of linux docs out there, almost all of
it useless because it's fallen into neglect.

at the risk of sounding self-serving, once upon a time, i decided to
write an online course on linux kernel programming for total
beginners. just that topic. nothing more. and i'm already falling
behind keeping it current.

with all due respect, i suspect that a lot of people who want to
write more linux documentation have the best intentions, but they
seem to think that writing documentation is a one-time, intense
investment in time, after which they can sit back, admire their
handiwork and let the huzzahs and plaudits roll in.

good luck with that.

if you want to be useful, pick a topic. a very specific topic. and
write it up. and make sure it's absolutely current. and constantly
keep it up to date. and respond to reader feedback. and explain it
with working and tested examples. and point out corner cases, and all
the things that might go wrong, and how to debug it when it
mysteriously doesn't work. and, most of all, really and truly
appreciate that, once you finish and post your documentation, you're
not done. you're just beginning, as it's now your permanent job to
care for that documentation from now on. and doing that for a single,
specific topic should be enough to keep you plenty busy.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday