Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 AM
steve reilly

Default Equivalent of yum check-update

On 12/08/2010 09:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?
> I've googled but so far found no definitive solution.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora
> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/02/21/email-notification-of-available-updates-ubuntudebian-server/
>
> Thank you.

if "yum check update" updates the package managers database, then
apt-get update does the same thing on debian based systems.

steve

Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> On 12/08/2010 09:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?
>> I've googled but so far found no definitive solution.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora
>> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/02/21/email-notification-of-available-updates-ubuntudebian-server/
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> if "yum check update" updates the package managers database, then
> apt-get update does the same thing on debian based systems.

yum check-update looks to see if any updates are available and what
without performing the update.
'sudo apt-get -s update' probably does the same thing here (simulate
but don't execute).

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 09/12/10 05:30, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>
>> if "yum check update" updates the package managers database, then
>> apt-get update does the same thing on debian based systems.
>>
> yum check-update looks to see if any updates are available and what
> without performing the update.
> 'sudo apt-get -s update' probably does the same thing here (simulate
> but don't execute).

Um, no... Like Steve Reilly already said, apt-get update only updates
the package database. There is no need to simulate it, it won't 'update'
any packages on your system. If you are talking about that, the comand
that does that is 'apt-get upgrade' (or maybe better 'apt-get
dist-upgrade'). There is no need to simulate it either though, since it
will ask you should it begin or not - it writes out how many packages
will get upgraded, and if any new would be installed and obsolete ones
uninstalled; then it asks you to confirm it (Y/n), at which time you
simply hit 'n' if you don't want to do it.

Regards

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:

> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?

aptitude update && aptitude search '?upgradable'

Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM, steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> On 12/08/2010 09:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?
>>> I've googled but so far found no definitive solution.
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora
>>> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/02/21/email-notification-of-available-updates-ubuntudebian-server/
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>> if "yum check update" updates the package managers database, then
>> apt-get update does the same thing on debian based systems.
>
> yum check-update looks to see if any updates are available and what
> without performing the update.
> 'sudo apt-get -s update' probably does the same thing here (simulate
> but don't execute).

I hope that you mean "apt-get -s upgrade" or "apt-get -s
dist-upgrade"! (after "apt-get update")

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?
>
> aptitude update && aptitude search '?upgradable'

Thanks Tom ^^
That did it.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any equivalent of yum check-update in ubuntu?
>>
>> aptitude update && aptitude search '?upgradable'
>
> Thanks Tom ^^
> That did it.

You're welcome (you have to install aptitude if you installed Ubuntu
10.10 with a Live CD).

Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
NoOp

On 12/09/2010 03:04 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:

>>> aptitude update && aptitude search '?upgradable'
>>
>> Thanks Tom ^^
>> That did it.
>
> You're welcome (you have to install aptitude if you installed Ubuntu
> 10.10 with a Live CD).

You can also use 'apt-show-versions -u'. However 'apt-show-versions' is
not quite as effective as 'aptitude search '?upgradable' as it doesn't
show updates for pinned packages, but aptitude search does[1].

$ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-show versions -u

<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man1/apt-show-versions.1p.html>

[1] I have udisks pinned:

$ sudo aptitude search '?upgradable'
i A udisks - abstraction for enumerating block devices

$ sudo apt-show-versions -u
$

Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Jonathan Matthews

On 9 December 2010 18:24, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> You can also use 'apt-show-versions -u'. However 'apt-show-versions' is
> not quite as effective as 'aptitude search '?upgradable' as it doesn't
> show updates for pinned packages, but aptitude search does[1].
>
> [1] I have udisks pinned:
>
> $ sudo aptitude search '?upgradable'
> i A udisks * * *- abstraction for enumerating block devices
>
> $ sudo apt-show-versions -u
> $

It's good to have both these options but I'd favour the aptitude
version, given that pinning a package so as not to install some future
upgrade is a very explicit action. I'd generally like to know which
packages have upgrades that I haven't already /manually/ excluded.

As an aside (useful for me as I'm coming at this from the PoV of
monitoring # packages upgradable across a large estate of machines,
where the monitoring user isn't root) "aptitude search '?upgradable'"
doesn't need to run via sudo.

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM
NoOp

On 12/10/2010 10:45 AM, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> On 9 December 2010 18:24, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> You can also use 'apt-show-versions -u'. However 'apt-show-versions' is
>> not quite as effective as 'aptitude search '?upgradable' as it doesn't
>> show updates for pinned packages, but aptitude search does[1].
>>
>> [1] I have udisks pinned:
>>
>> $ sudo aptitude search '?upgradable'
>> i A udisks - abstraction for enumerating block devices
>>
>> $ sudo apt-show-versions -u
>> $
>
> It's good to have both these options but I'd favour the aptitude
> version, given that pinning a package so as not to install some future
> upgrade is a very explicit action. I'd generally like to know which
> packages have upgrades that I haven't already /manually/ excluded.
>
> As an aside (useful for me as I'm coming at this from the PoV of
> monitoring # packages upgradable across a large estate of machines,
> where the monitoring user isn't root) "aptitude search '?upgradable'"
> doesn't need to run via sudo.

Sorry... neither does apt-show-versions - my apologies; I just tend to
add 'sudo' out of habit.