Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Nataraj

Default keyboard mapping problem

I'm having a strange problem with keymappings which I believe is in
gnome. The problem only exists for my login. If I use useradd and
create a new users and login the strange mappings don't occur. Keys
that I'm aware of that are incorrectly mapped are 'capital a', 'capital
p' and capital 'w'. I get some non-ascii event when I press these keys
(as far as I know, all capital letters using the shift key). I have my
keyboard set to USA Generic 105-key in system/preferences/keyboard/layout.

I would appreciate any ideas as to where the keymappings can be changed
in gnome or what else might be causing this problem.

When I run xev here's what gets output when I press the shift and 'a' keys.

PRESS SHIFT KEY:

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
root 0x15d, subw 0x0, time 3174808, (55,89), root61,118),
state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

PRESS 'A' KEY WHILE HOLDING SHIFT

FocusOut event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

RELEASE 'A' KEY

FocusOut event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys: 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Thanks,
Nataraj