Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
"chiaowl"

Default crippled meerkat

> -------Original Message-------
> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>

> Maybe these will help:
> <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/130018>
>
> I'd try these first:
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> $ sudo apt-get install -f
>
> Then all the commands on:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PackageManagerTroubleshootingProcedure>

owly@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for owly:
owly@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_b inary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Going to <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PackageManagerTroubleshootingProcedure> now.

thank you for your time

sherry

Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:40 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
> Keeping it brief:
> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor,
> package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems
> like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I
> clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of
> knowledge of linux).

Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
Meerkat? You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4). I think you'd be much better served.
Jus' my 4 cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:40 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
>> Keeping it brief:
>> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor,
>> package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems
>> like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I
>> clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of
>> knowledge of linux).
>
> Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
> Meerkat? You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
> Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4). I think you'd be much better served.
> Jus' my 4 cents, Ric

It seems to work just fine for lots of people, and there's no reason
to suspect that Maverick was at fault here, at least not from what has
been presented so far.

But, that's ok, Ric, you just go right on hanging out in the past.
Some of us boldly go where no LTS 10.04.1'er wants to go....

;^)

Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 20:25 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:40 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
> >> Keeping it brief:
> >> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor,
> >> package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems
> >> like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I
> >> clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of
> >> knowledge of linux).
> >
> > Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
> > Meerkat? You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
> > Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4). I think you'd be much better served.
> > Jus' my 4 cents, Ric
> >
> It seems to work just fine for lots of people, and there's no reason
> to suspect that Maverick was at fault here, at least not from what has
> been presented so far.
>
> But, that's ok, Ric, you just go right on hanging out in the past.
> Some of us boldly go where no LTS 10.04.1'er wants to go....

I know, it's just plain ole Dullsville around here. It all just works,
I'm not bleeding ink over my install going blooey, like a goat bladder
in the noon-day sun. I'm so bored I'm watching 2008 youtube videos
blasting Sarah Palin. I do note that Adobe Container is eating up 35% of
my cpu, while doing so, but I can live with that and remain grateful
that at least I'm not running Windows! Linux, the Alpha Male OS.
<cackles> Ric

p/s Alpha Females are certainly welcome as well!
Linux user# 44256

Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Basil Chupin

On 09/12/2010 13:34, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:40 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
>> Keeping it brief:
>> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor,
>> package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems
>> like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I
>> clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of
>> knowledge of linux).
> Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
> Meerkat?

And why not, I ask?

Nothing wrong with 10.10 - I am now running it on my computer, and only
a few minutes ago I finished installing it on my wife's computer.

> You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
> Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4).

This LTS nomenclature is just a furphy as far as I am concerned. It may
be of use to people who install LTS as a server in a work environment
but it doesn't mean a thing for a home user. Especially since the idea
of a "rolling upgrades" has just been floated.

> I think you'd be much better served.

(Not unless you go to Grace Brothers :-) .)

> Jus' my 4 cents, Ric

And my 8 cents worth :-) .

BC

--
Attorney: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness: Are you qualified to ask that question?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Nils Kassube

Ric Moore wrote:
> Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
> Meerkat?

Because that's the default you get when you download from the Ubuntu
site?

> You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
> Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4). I think you'd be much better served.

That's debatable, IMHO. While I prefer not to upgrade every 6 months,
there is nothing wrong with 10.10 for others who always want to have the
latest & greatest. LTS means just that - "Long Term Support", i.e.
updates for a longer period of time than for the regular versions. When
I started using Linux I did not yet care about that detail. I was
exploring the system to find out if it was something I wanted to use at
all.

Nils

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 13:34, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
>> Meerkat?
>>
>> You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
>> Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4).
>
> And why not, I ask?
>
> Nothing wrong with 10.10 - I am now running it on my computer, and only
> a few minutes ago I finished installing it on my wife's computer.

+1

Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Basil Chupin

On 09/12/2010 20:59, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On 09/12/2010 13:34, Ric Moore wrote:
>>> Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
>>> Meerkat?
>>>
>>> You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
>>> Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4).
>> And why not, I ask?
>>
>> Nothing wrong with 10.10 - I am now running it on my computer, and only
>> a few minutes ago I finished installing it on my wife's computer.
> +1

Wait Hold on. Time out. I am picking myself off the floor......

I am now sure that what I just read is really true! :-D

BC

--

Attorney: Can you describe the individual?
Witness: He was about medium height and had a beard.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
"chiaowl"

I started using ubuntu with v. 10.04 last spring. My husband, who has been using ubuntu for about a year, upgraded when 10.10 came out, and I did also just so that we'd be using the same version, could compare notes, continue learning about it together, etc. Unfortunately my husband isn't here at the moment and this would have been over his head also. It is a shame that he wasn't with me to go through this, he would be learning too.

sherry

Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
"chiaowl"

Ok, did all that last night. This morning I booted up and everything seems to be working again, I can access my program manager again and all the other issues seem to be resolved.

Glad I saved the output so that I could study it later and maybe learn something from it all.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

sherry