Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
"chiaowl"

Default crippled meerkat

Keeping it brief:
no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor, package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of knowledge of linux).

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_b inary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

This is what comes up at various times. Searching it doesn't help me. Tried to find something similar at ubuntu.com until my head started spinning.

Anybody patient enough to help me figure out what all this means, and help me fix it? or point me somewhere that can help me please?

I try to figure most things out myself without bothering the list but this one is way far beyond my understanding .

sherry

Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM, chiaowl <chiaowl@owly.net> wrote:
> Keeping it brief:
> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor, package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of knowledge of linux).
>
> E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_b inary-i386_Packages
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> This is what comes up at various times. Searching it doesn't help me. Tried to find something similar at ubuntu.com until my head started spinning.
>
> Anybody patient enough to help me figure out what all this means, and help me fix it? or point me somewhere that can help me please?
>
> I try to figure most things out myself without bothering the list but this one is way far beyond my understanding .

A little too brief, methinks.

What did you do that put you in this position? That might be a better
starting point for the rest of us, too.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2010 11:40 AM, chiaowl wrote:
> Keeping it brief: no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access
> computer janitor, package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus
> misc. other problems like not allowing email backups (which I think I
> need to do before I clumsily try to resolve this with my
> sub-kindergarten level of knowledge of linux).
>
> E: Encountered a section with no Package: header E: Problem with
> MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_b inary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Maybe these will help:
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/130018>

I'd try these first:
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a