-   -   popup messages - lucid (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/462962-popup-messages-lucid.html)

Nick Edwards 12-08-2010 11:32 AM

popup messages - lucid

Hi, when the notification system pops up new message, like for new mail, or download complete, or
*for*
MSN/Twitter etc, mousing over it , it disappears, mouse off it, it
re-appears, how the hell are we supposed to "click" on the URL for
instance when that happens? like the old way on earlier Ubuntu.

Yieo Pompernickle 12-09-2010 11:57 AM

popup messages - lucid

* Nick Edwards (2010-12-08 13:32):

> Hi, when the notification system pops up new message, like for new
> mail, or download complete, or
> for MSN/Twitter etc, mousing over it , it disappears, mouse off it,
> it re-appears, how the hell are we supposed to "click" on the URL for
> instance when that happens? like the old way on earlier Ubuntu.

Agreed. Until the developers come up with a configuration utility for
the notification system, I will rather disable the whole thing.

Copy paste from here:
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/26/disable-notifications-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope/

You can turn off these notify-osd notifications by typing this single
command in your terminal:

sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service.disabled

Restart your computer. They're gone. Forever!

I do this on every fresh install. :)

--
Yieo Pompernickle
yieo@online.no

Nick Edwards 12-13-2010 11:13 AM

popup messages - lucid

Does kind of make you wonder about what sort of QA is conducted, they need to piss off the "set schedule" for releases, and get the blasted thing RIGHT before releasing, it only makes them look ever more incompetent.

Ric Moore 12-13-2010 05:47 PM

popup messages - lucid

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 22:13 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> Does kind of make you wonder about what sort of QA is conducted, they
> need to piss off the "set schedule" for releases, and get the blasted
> thing RIGHT before releasing, it only makes them look ever more
> incompetent.

I argued for that on the Fedora list for ages ...but their excuse is
that Fedora was created to be a test bed. No wonder I prefer, and
suggest to newbies, that we hang back at 10.4. Better yet, NO new
"releases" ...just a steady upgrade of what works. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256

Nils Kassube 12-13-2010 06:12 PM

popup messages - lucid

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 22:13 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
> > Does kind of make you wonder about what sort of QA is conducted,
> > they need to piss off the "set schedule" for releases, and get the
> > blasted thing RIGHT before releasing, it only makes them look ever
> > more incompetent.
>
> I argued for that on the Fedora list for ages ...but their excuse is
> that Fedora was created to be a test bed. No wonder I prefer, and
> suggest to newbies, that we hang back at 10.4. Better yet, NO new
> "releases" ...just a steady upgrade of what works. :) Ric

Maybe this is what you are looking for:
<http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/openSUSE-Rolling-release-project-Tumbleweed-proposed-1146308.html>

Nils

"Cybe R. Wizard" 12-13-2010 06:57 PM

popup messages - lucid

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:12:06 +0100
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

[...]
> Maybe this is what you are looking for:
> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/openSUSE-Rolling-release-project-Tumbleweed-proposed-1146308.html>
>
> Nils

Oh, dear, are you really supposing that anyone already Ubuntu would
willingly align themselves with Novell in any capacity?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Ric Moore 12-13-2010 07:30 PM

popup messages - lucid

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 13:57 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:12:06 +0100
> Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Maybe this is what you are looking for:
> > <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/openSUSE-Rolling-release-project-Tumbleweed-proposed-1146308.html>
> >
> > Nils
> >
> Oh, dear, are you really supposing that anyone already Ubuntu would
> willingly align themselves with Novell in any capacity?

Back in the days when Ray Norda was alive and Caldera rolling along, it
was a heckuva distro. "Alas, quoth the Raven, nevermore." :( Ric
Linux user# 44256

Nils Kassube 12-13-2010 07:41 PM

popup messages - lucid

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:12:06 +0100
> Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Maybe this is what you are looking for:
> > <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/openSUSE-Rolling-release-pr
> > oject-Tumbleweed-proposed-1146308.html>
>
> Oh, dear, are you really supposing that anyone already Ubuntu would
> willingly align themselves with Novell in any capacity?

Novell? I thought the new owner wants to separate Suse from Novell.
Anyway, I don't think that people will move from Ubuntu to Suse because
of this project. But at least the idea of the rolling release project
seems interesting.

Nils

Nick Edwards 12-14-2010 12:08 PM

popup messages - lucid

IIRC Gentoo is a rolling release, and their wiki is awesome, it contains real detail, not some bloated opinion that is heavy on ubuntu's wiki's, and has detail to real questions, not some crap that any 13yo kid already knows. ubtunu's wiki is a joke its the last place I look for answers.

Why is mobile broadband such a pain in the arse with Ubuntu, using e220, on fedora and gentoo the bitch knows its a GSM modem and not storage, but* Ubuntu, keeps failing 9/10 times, the e220 should not need mode switch because the kernel does the switching for this modem, but Ubuntu, no, not even with modeswitch does it work reliably, who was it that used to say ubuntu butchers things to oblivion? I am starting to see there point of view.