Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Patton Echols

Default Follow-up

On 12/07/2010 11:19 PM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
> Back in Oct, I posted the following request
>
> <quote>
>
> I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
> Camera. What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
> camera? I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
> possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
> experience with the software. I've never edited a piece of video in my
> life.
>
> </quote>
>
> I checked the archives and didn't find any response[s].
>
> I found "pitivi" editor, but it apparently requires a unique file format
> [piTiVi Native (XML)].
>
> I tried Avidemux (GTK+). When attempting to open one of the FLIP video
> files, I get the following error message:
>

> <quote>
>
> H.264 detected
>
> If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or
> stuttering.
> Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME
> ACCURACY.
> Do you want to use that mode?
>
> </quote>
>
> Choosing "the other mode" in Avidemux does, as advertised, result in a
> crash.
>
> The FLIP camera records in MP4 format.
>
> With the holidays coming up, I'd really like to experiment ... I'm
> pretty convinced the learning curve for video editing, whatever software
> package you might recommend, is going to be fairly intense.
>
> tia
>
> mcm

Two others have suggested OpenShot. I've not tried it, but looking at
their site it looks like a bit of kit I need!

But if it looks like a bit much, and you want to start slow, you can use
WinFF (a front end for ffmpeg -- apt-get install winff) to convert your
flip videos into something that Avidemux will like, then use the latter
to cut your clip down to size. I've done this successfully with clips
from a smart phone camera.

But if you are interested in non-linear editing and putting multiple
clips into a story, OpenShot may be as good a first try as any.

If you are not comfortable with software not in the repositories, there
are a few other NLEs available:
kdenlive
openmovieeditor
kino
pitivi

Probably others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Jim Byrnes

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 11:19 PM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
>> Back in Oct, I posted the following request
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
>> Camera. What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
>> camera? I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
>> possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
>> experience with the software. I've never edited a piece of video in my
>> life.
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> I checked the archives and didn't find any response[s].
>>
>> I found "pitivi" editor, but it apparently requires a unique file format
>> [piTiVi Native (XML)].
>>
>> I tried Avidemux (GTK+). When attempting to open one of the FLIP video
>> files, I get the following error message:
>>

>> <quote>
>>
>> H.264 detected
>>
>> If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or
>> stuttering.
>> Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME
>> ACCURACY.
>> Do you want to use that mode?
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> Choosing "the other mode" in Avidemux does, as advertised, result in a
>> crash.
>>
>> The FLIP camera records in MP4 format.
>>
>> With the holidays coming up, I'd really like to experiment ... I'm
>> pretty convinced the learning curve for video editing, whatever software
>> package you might recommend, is going to be fairly intense.
>>
>> tia
>>
>> mcm
>>

> Two others have suggested OpenShot. I've not tried it, but looking at
> their site it looks like a bit of kit I need!
>
> But if it looks like a bit much, and you want to start slow, you can use
> WinFF (a front end for ffmpeg -- apt-get install winff) to convert your
> flip videos into something that Avidemux will like, then use the latter
> to cut your clip down to size. I've done this successfully with clips
> from a smart phone camera.
>
> But if you are interested in non-linear editing and putting multiple
> clips into a story, OpenShot may be as good a first try as any.
>
> If you are not comfortable with software not in the repositories, there
> are a few other NLEs available:
> kdenlive
> openmovieeditor
> kino
> pitivi
>
> Probably others but those are the ones that come to mind.

I just checked and Openshot is in the repositories in Lucid.

Regards, Jim

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 02:19 -0500, Mark C. Miller wrote:
> Back in Oct, I posted the following request
>
> <quote>
>
> I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
> Camera. What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
> camera? I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
> possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
> experience with the software. I've never edited a piece of video in my
> life.

My Flip works quite well with Ubuntu 10.4. I usually use Kino to edit.
It's good for newbies for video editing. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 09:11 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:

> I just checked and Openshot is in the repositories in Lucid.

I'll be darned, it's there and I have it installed, but never noticed
it. I'll give it a shot! Thanks! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 09:11 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>
>> I just checked and Openshot is in the repositories in Lucid.
>
> I'll be darned,

We knew that, Ric.

:-)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:39:45 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll be darned

Why? Are you ripped?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Do you think God gets stoned? I think so . . . look at the platypus.
Robin Williams

Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:39:45 -0500
> Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll be darned
>
> Why? *Are you ripped?

Nah, he's probably just burned and needs repairs....

Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 13:13 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:39:45 -0500
> Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll be darned
>
> Why? Are you ripped?

You have NO idea... <chuckles> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 21:24:37 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 13:13 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:39:45 -0500
> > Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'll be darned
> >
> > Why? Are you ripped?
>
> You have NO idea... <chuckles> Ric

You're right about that! ...and don't call me chuckles.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
All great ideas are dangerous.
Oscar Wilde