Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM
dave selby

Default My Packard Bell Easynote, MIT-RHEA-C on dialup setup

Posting my config to setup a packard bell easynote, MIT-RHEA-C on
dialup, it has not been easy and so thought I would share it in case
anyone else was struggleing with the same hardware

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

OK so first it is a 10.04 LTS setup !!

Grub Modifications …

edit ... /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“vga=792 quiet splash acpi=force reboot=b
irqpoll nolapictimer”
update-grub2
echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
update-initramfs -u

Tweaks …

Install Gufw, the firewall
sudo apt-get remove indicator-messages ... to remove ‘mail’ icon
and reboot

Video Playback …

gstreamer-properties
video > default output > X window system (no Xv)

Wifi …

An absolute **!!*## to get going,
apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic
the “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT” line is CRUCIAL else the Wifi driver
r61pci does not get an IRQ it can use.

Dialup …

apt-get install gnome-ppp
08456043090
/dev/modem
Manual DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Tick “Ignore terminal strings (stupid mode)”
Add to ‘dip’ group so /etc/group shows ...
dip:x:30:<user name>
Modem mopup daemon to allow redials ...

#!/bin/bash
# Copyright 2010 David Selby dave6502@gmail.com
# flame is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
# flame is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
“”“
Mops up after wvdial restarting ‘sl-modem-daemon’ when pppd stops
“”“

old_pppd_running='
while true; do

pppd_running=$(ps --no-headers -C ‘pppd’)
if [ ! “$pppd_running” ] && [ “$old_pppd_running” ]
then
/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart
fi
old_pppd_running=$pppd_running
sleep 1
done

Add startup in /etc/rc.local with an & at the end

#!/bin/bash
# Copyright 2010 David Selby dave6502@gmail.com
# flame is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
# flame is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
“”“
Mops up after gnome-ppp,stops multiple instances
“”“

gnome_ppp_running=$(ps --no-headers -C ‘gnome-ppp’)
if [ ! “$gnome_ppp_running” ]
then
gnome-ppp
fi

Add as a wrapper for gnome-ppp

Lockup on boot …

Fixed with adding sleep into bottom of /etc/init/gdm.conf, advised 5,
experimenting with 3
sleep 5
exec gdm-binary $CONFIG_FILE
end script