Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 AM
"Mark C. Miller"

Default Follow-up

Back in Oct, I posted the following request

<quote>

I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
Camera. What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
camera? I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
experience with the software. I've never edited a piece of video in my
life.

</quote>

I checked the archives and didn't find any response[s].

I found "pitivi" editor, but it apparently requires a unique file format
[piTiVi Native (XML)].

I tried Avidemux (GTK+). When attempting to open one of the FLIP video
files, I get the following error message:

<quote>

H.264 detected

If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or
stuttering.
Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME
ACCURACY.
Do you want to use that mode?

</quote>

Choosing "the other mode" in Avidemux does, as advertised, result in a
crash.

The FLIP camera records in MP4 format.

With the holidays coming up, I'd really like to experiment ... I'm
pretty convinced the learning curve for video editing, whatever software
package you might recommend, is going to be fairly intense.

tia

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller
mmiller@millermc.net

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2010/12/8 Mark C. Miller <mmiller@millermc.net>:
> Back in Oct, I posted the following request
>
> <quote>
>
> I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
> Camera. *What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
> camera? *I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
> possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
> experience with the software. *I've never edited a piece of video in my
> life.
>
> </quote>
>
> I checked the archives and didn't find any response[s].
>
> I found "pitivi" editor, but it apparently requires a unique file format
> [piTiVi Native (XML)].
>
> I tried Avidemux (GTK+). When attempting to open one of the FLIP video
> files, I get the following error message:
>

> <quote>
>
> H.264 detected
>
> If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or
> stuttering.
> Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME
> ACCURACY.
> Do you want to use that mode?
>
> </quote>
>
> Choosing "the other mode" in Avidemux does, as advertised, result in a
> crash.
>
> The FLIP camera records in MP4 format.
>
> With the holidays coming up, I'd really like to experiment ... I'm
> pretty convinced the learning curve for video editing, whatever software
> package you might recommend, is going to be fairly intense.
>
> tia
>
> mcm
>

> --
> Mark C. Miller
> mmiller@millermc.net
> Indianapolis, Indiana

You could try Open Shot.
http://www.openshotvideo.com/

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Konchok Jangchup Dorje

On 12/08/2010 02:19 AM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
> Back in Oct, I posted the following request
>
> <quote>
>
> I attended a conference recently where the give-away was a Flip Video
> Camera. What would your recommendation be for software to work with the
> camera? I find several video editing programs (Avidemux seems a
> possibility), but would like a recommendation from someone who has some
> experience with the software. I've never edited a piece of video in my
> life.
>
> </quote>
>
> I checked the archives and didn't find any response[s].
>
> I found "pitivi" editor, but it apparently requires a unique file format
> [piTiVi Native (XML)].
>
> I tried Avidemux (GTK+). When attempting to open one of the FLIP video
> files, I get the following error message:
>

> <quote>
>
> H.264 detected
>
> If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or
> stuttering.
> Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME
> ACCURACY.
> Do you want to use that mode?
>
> </quote>
>
> Choosing "the other mode" in Avidemux does, as advertised, result in a
> crash.
>
> The FLIP camera records in MP4 format.
>
> With the holidays coming up, I'd really like to experiment ... I'm
> pretty convinced the learning curve for video editing, whatever software
> package you might recommend, is going to be fairly intense.
>
> tia
>
> mcm

I use Openshot quite successfully and it didn't seem that hard to learn.
In fact, it seemed quite intuitive in its GUI and menus. It also imports
and exports MP4.

In the Dharma,
Ven. Konchok Jangchup Dorje (John Missing)