Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Nils Kassube

Default how PS1 variable is used ?

MR ZenWiz wrote:
> It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the shell
> man page, which is the first place one should look for such
> information.
>
> (IOW, RTFM)

~/ > man shell
No manual entry for shell

If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
manual.

Nils

Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the shell
>> man page, which is the first place one should look for such
>> information.
>>
>> (IOW, RTFM)
>
> ~/ > man shell
> No manual entry for shell
>
> If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
> manual.

If you don't know what a shell is or how to find it, then I would
suggest you get a good book on UNIX/Linux systems and find out the
basics first.

Try 'echo $SHELL' to find out which one you are running, or 'man
`basename $SHELL`'

You got me, though. I've never responded to someone who didn't know
how to find what to look for in the manual. Have you tried 'man -k
shell?'

Maybe a little Google would help, too.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 21:59 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> MR ZenWiz wrote:
> > It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the shell
> > man page, which is the first place one should look for such
> > information.
> >
> > (IOW, RTFM)
>
> ~/ > man shell
> No manual entry for shell
>
> If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
> manual.

How about: man bash
Linux user# 44256

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 16:23 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 21:59 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > MR ZenWiz wrote:
> > > It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the shell
> > > man page, which is the first place one should look for such
> > > information.
> > >
> > > (IOW, RTFM)
> >
> > ~/ > man shell
> > No manual entry for shell
> >
> > If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
> > manual.
>
> How about: man bash

It is a little confusing that traditionally the shell was always called
'sh' and the commonly used shell on Linux is 'bash' and they are all
called 'shells'. 'sh' is of course really 'dash' on Ubuntu. This all
makes sense when you realize you can run different shells depending on
the functionality you need or prefer, but it is a bit confusing to a
newbie.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Nils Kassube

MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > MR ZenWiz wrote:
> >> It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the
> >> shell man page, which is the first place one should look for such
> >> information.
> >>
> >> (IOW, RTFM)
> >
> > ~/ > man shell
> > No manual entry for shell
> >
> > If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
> > manual.
>
> If you don't know what a shell is or how to find it, then I would
> suggest you get a good book on UNIX/Linux systems and find out the
> basics first.

Well, I do know it should have been "man bash" but why would you expect
that everybody who starts exploring shell variables knows where to look.
In this case the command used was "set" and the question was about "PS1"
but even if you use "man set" or "man PS1" you don't get a hint to use
"man bash". IMHO, it isn't helpful to reply with "RTFM" without a useful
hint where to find the manual.

Nils

Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Albert Wagner

On 12/07/2010 02:01 PM, Denis Firsov wrote:
> When i run "set" command i see bunch of variables.
> Among them i found "PS1" variable:
> PS1='[e]0;u@h: wa]${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}u@h:w$ '
>
> how this variable is used ?
In this case Google is a friend: "linux PS1" I am so pleased with my
PS1 value that I have kept it through dozens of distributions.

PS1='[33[1;33m]# w
# [33[0m]'

Can't stand a huge prompt, displayed over and over. I usually put it in
~/.bashrc (you will have to comment out some stuff) It's in yellow so
only looks good if the background is black. I also like a slightly
larger than default font.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Well, I do know it should have been "man bash" but why would you expect
> that everybody who starts exploring shell variables knows where to look.
> In this case the command used was "set" and the question was about "PS1"
> but even if you use "man set" or "man PS1" you don't get a hint to use
> "man bash". IMHO, it isn't helpful to reply with "RTFM" without a useful
> hint where to find the manual.

You make a good case. In this instance, Google would have been a
better reference, perhaps. Or I suppose I could (should?) have said
that PS1 is the standard shell (command line interpreter) primary
prompt which can be found in the man page for whichever shell you are
running ('echo $SHELL' followed by 'man <the shell's base-name>' or,
again, 'man `basename $SHELL`').

I will jump a shorter distance to my next conclusion. Thank you.

OTOH, where else would you go to find out about shell variables other
than the man page for the shell you are running? I would think it
fairly obvious that you can't find a man page for a shell variable....
If you know enough to know what a shell is, and what the man command
is, I would expect that to be a huge pointer in the right direction.
Perhaps I still have my expectations of UNIX/Linux users set too high.

I shall adapt.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, December 7, 2010 22:15, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>> It is used exactly in accordance with the specifications in the shell
>>> man page, which is the first place one should look for such
>>> information.
>>>
>>> (IOW, RTFM)
>>
>> ~/ > man shell
>> No manual entry for shell
>>
>> If you suggest to RTFM, please make sure you point to an existing
>> manual.
>>
> If you don't know what a shell is or how to find it, then I would
> suggest you get a good book on UNIX/Linux systems and find out the
> basics first.
>
> Try 'echo $SHELL' to find out which one you are running, or 'man
> `basename $SHELL`'
>
> You got me, though. I've never responded to someone who didn't know
> how to find what to look for in the manual. Have you tried 'man -k
> shell?'
>
> Maybe a little Google would help, too.

apropos shell